Tile Saw for Hash Plates

Nimravis

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

... otherwise I would not be able to move in my Fossil room.

I thought it would be something like this..

Was that a bivalve or brach imprint?

This blade is metal and it would take a finger off.  :dinothumb:

Your blade looks like the diamond-impregnated smooth-edged type blade - this would take a finger off? I don't doubt that it would give you a nasty cut or burn.  I know there are notched type blades that I would not trust for my finger or for any of the rock I cut. I figure the non-notched type are pretty safe. What I think of as a masonry blade is the kind made of carborundum held together by a mesh. These don't seem to work as well as the diamond and I wouldn't trust my fingers anywhere near them either!

18 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I thought it would be something like this..

Was that a bivalve or brach imprint?

Your blade looks like the diamond-impregnated smooth-edged type blade - this would take a finger off? I don't doubt that it would give you a nasty cut or burn.  I know there are notched type blades that I would not trust for my finger or for any of the rock I cut. I figure the non-notched type are pretty safe. What I think of as a masonry blade is the kind made of carborundum held together by a mesh. These don't seem to work as well as the diamond and I wouldn't trust my fingers anywhere near them either!

It was a Rafinesquina Brachiopod and as far as the blade, it is smooth edged and is a diamond blade. I just would not want to have my finger come in contact with that blade. I take some risks climbing, but I am not going to risk my fingers with this saw- I am going to view it as if it was a chain saw. LOL

I agree.. don't take any risks! I know with rock saws (that lapidary/rockhounds use) the blade/grit is so fine you can touch it and nothing happens to your skin. At least when it's wet...

40 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

It was a Rafinesquina Brachiopod

I case I wasn't clear, I meant the imprint near the brach - same thing or different?

22 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I agree.. don't take any risks! I know with rock saws (that lapidary/rockhounds use) the blade/grit is so fine you can touch it and nothing happens to your skin. At least when it's wet...

I case I wasn't clear, I meant the imprint near the brach - same thing or different?

It was the same thing.

13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Tile saws are a bit more aggressive but nothing like a circular saw or table saw. The tile blades will give you a nasty cut regardless. I don't put my fingers anywhere near moving blades or belts and I use a ton of them cutting and shaping stone, metal, and wood. I like my body parts too much.

Chain saws are the worst since they are pretty much out in the open doing whatever they want and cutting wood that is unstable and regularly does whatever it wants as well! Quick (unsolicited mind you) plug for 5.11 tactical pants. I was at the ranch where I hunt cutting up some fallen limbs in the pecan orchard and the branch shifted and drove the running chainsaw into my knee. I had just enough time to take my finger off the throttle but the chain was still moving full speed when it contacted my leg! I thought for sure, I was headed to the ER (over an hour away). When I looked down, the chain had cut through the first layer of fabric in the reinforced knee area and then got hung up! I walked away without a scratch, went home and bought a couple more pairs of 5.11 pants!

• I found this Informative 3

I guess those other types of saw would turn much faster than a belt-driven rock saw. I've got a 10" wet/dry blade (continuous rim) mounted on a chop saw for trimming fossil matrix, and it's a bit scary at times, I know it's not ideal but it's what I have, but so far nothing major has happened. It once grabbed a chunk and flung it behind whereupon the piece broke into the constituent parts that were glued together, and miraculously I was able to reassemble it without any missing pieces. Perhaps just as miraculously I only got a minor cut/scrape.

My dad has used a chainsaw a lot throughout his life and as far as I know he's had no major incidents, but good to know about those pants.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:39 PM, Nimravis said:

I used my saw tonight, and lo and behold it is, in fact, a metal blade.  For some reason I had thought it was a masonary blade.  Nevertheless, it's not serrated.  It would cause a nasty burn, but pry not sever a finger like a serrated table saw or circular saw blade...  I've gotten "burnt" once by it already :blush:

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

I used my saw tonight, and lo and behold it is, in fact, a metal blade.  For some reason I had thought it was a masonary blade.  Nevertheless, it's not serrated.  It would cause a nasty burn, but pry not sever a finger like a serrated table saw or circular saw blade...  I've gotten "burnt" once by it already :blush:

It could still be a masonry blade. Saw blades are designated by the type of material they are designed to cut. Masonry, tile, metal, wood...

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It could still be a masonry blade. Saw blades are designated by the type of material they are designed to cut. Masonry, tile, metal, wood...

Yes, you are correct.  When I use that term, I'm thinking in my head of the carbon fiber ones:)

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Yes, you are correct.  When I use that term, I'm thinking in my head of the carbon fiber ones:)

I see. Those would probably be a bad choice for a wet saw. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 4:18 PM, Nimravis said:

It was a Rafinesquina Brachiopod and as far as the blade, it is smooth edged and is a diamond blade. I just would not want to have my finger come in contact with that blade. I take some risks climbing, but I am not going to risk my fingers with this saw- I am going to view it as if it was a chain saw. LOL

When I was in college many, many, many, many years ago my mother owned a lapidary and gift shop.  I earned my way through college making custom jewelry and selling supplies to rockhounds.  We carried several brands of diamond trim saws (similar to a tile saw) and sometimes prospective buyers would hesitate because they were worried about cutting themselves.  I would turn on the saw I used daily and push my finger against the spinning blade to show them there was no risk.  It invariably convinced them it was safe.  But my blade was fairly thick.  I wouldn’t do that with a thin kerf saw blade.

Legal Disclaimer: Don’t rely on my experiences for your own safety, read the instructions that came with your blade.  Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited, batteries not included.

51 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

When I was in college many, many, many, many years ago my mother owned a lapidary and gift shop.  I earned my way through college making custom jewelry and selling supplies to rockhounds.  We carried several brands of diamond trim saws (similar to a tile saw) and sometimes prospective buyers would hesitate because they were worried about cutting themselves.  I would turn on the saw I used daily and push my finger against the spinning blade to show them there was no risk.  It invariably convinced them it was safe.  But my blade was fairly thick.  I wouldn’t do that with a thin kerf saw blade.

Legal Disclaimer: Don’t rely on my experiences for your own safety, read the instructions that came with your blade.  Void where prohibited, batteries not included.

Lol- I love the disclaimer.