Phytosaur Prep

Ptychodus04

4 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I infer that you must be employing the time-honored snolly prep method of quenching spousal ire via the judicious application of precious gemstones.

Otherwise, you would be hearing a phrase popular with the unassuaged snollywife; "get that filthy thing out of the house!"

I have already gotten the “you will be removing that before the Christmas party right?” The ptychoduswife is really pretty patient with my shenanigans. I think it has to do with the money making aspect of the prep work. 

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

That already looks like an impressive specimen. Congratulations Kris on your efforts so far and thanks for sharing them. 

It is quite a specimen. If I can manage the jigsaw aspect and get it all back together, it will be a museum grade specimen. 

Question with this piece, have you consolidated all the individual fragments or just gluing as you go? And if its the later how will you consolidate it at the end, also what if a piece can only fit in a certain way? does that mean you would have to un-glue a section?

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

Question with this piece, have you consolidated all the individual fragments or just gluing as you go? And if its the later how will you consolidate it at the end, also what if a piece can only fit in a certain way? does that mean you would have to un-glue a section?

The bone is really quite stable so no heavy consolidation is necessary. In the end, I may apply some very thin PVA if it looks like it may want some.

If I glue something up and then find a piece that needs the first to move to fit, I drop some acetone on the joint to loosen the glue and pull it off. This isn’t very common because I try to keep from painting myself into a corner so to speak when gluing.

This is looking good. 

Yes... an excellent example of why these sorts of things should be collected with plaster jackets.  Spend a few hours making a plaster jacket... cut off 20 hours in the lab, and a lot less gaps.  

• I found this Informative 1

On 11/12/2017 at 12:53 AM, snolly50 said:

I infer that you must be employing the time-honored snolly prep method of quenching spousal ire via the judicious application of precious gemstones.

Otherwise, you would be hearing a phrase popular with the unassuaged snollywife; "get that filthy thing out of the house!"

:hearty-laugh:

Great prep work so far!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Thanks all. I have a handful more pieces in place and I think I’m close to attaching what appears to be the frontal. I’m missing what looks like one thin section on the right side.

@JohnBrewer maybe I should charge by the crumb, or the swear word. :wacko:

I did glue my finger to the specimen yesterday.

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have a handful more pieces in place

So where are the pictures?:headscratch:

Or are We supposed to use Our imagination?:D

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

More! More!! I love phytosaurs so MOOOORREEE!!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

8 hours ago, ynot said:

So where are the pictures?:headscratch:

Or are We supposed to use Our imagination?:D

No pictures for you! Use your imagination, it looks much nicer there. :P

Here’s the mess as it currently sits. Progress is more noticeable in the trays than on the skull. The number of small bits is steadily decreasing.2CEE9444-644E-4984-9499-007A7A064C46.thumb.jpeg.a62d922b4dfd03713a844f2530361a22.jpeg

I enjoy doing puzzles around the holidays, but this brings it to a whole new level of crazy!

Lookin' Good, Kris. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

No pictures for you! Use your imagination, it looks much nicer there. :P

You such a funny guy!:rofl:

Looking forward to watching the progress.:popcorn:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey Kris

you're doing a fantastic job. I can't wait to see it finished. I love seeing stuff like this.

Nick

17 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Is it finished yet Kris? :rofl:

It may not be finished, but I'm just about finished messing with it! Puzzles that don't fit right get really old really fast!

6 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It may not be finished, but I'm just about finished messing with it! Puzzles that don't fit right get really old really fast!

Just get all the dinky bits and put ‘em in a pestle and mortar, add Paraloid and then fill in the gaps....