Fossil Hunting for Trilobites in Ottawa

Pseudogygites

Hi everyone! Where are my fellow Canadians? I'm a newbie, so I do not know of many good fossil hunting sites. I am specifically looking for sites in Ottawa known to produce my namesake. Could someone please help me? I am doing this for a science fair project and I am in desperate need of some sites. In return, I would be glad to let you know of some other sites that never disappoint! Thanks a lot!

Edited by Pseudogygites
location error

Hello and welcome to the forum. Ottawa was where I was born and raised, so I know it fairly well (as do some of other forum members). In terms of finding Pseudogygites, they are fairly abundant in the black and brown shales along the Rideau River (Strathcona Park when the river is low, and some blocks at Carleton University, for example). The Ottawa River has some very isolated pockets as you proceed west some way from the Parliament Buildings, but most of the area has been dumped on with limestone riprap. If you consider collecting at any of these locations, you certainly want to observe some etiquette about being relatively discreet, and not leave a mess. 

You may also have some luck in road repair/construction, particularly in the Sandy Hill area if they are digging up the street. In such cases, obviously you will not be entering into the workspace, but sometimes the workers will throw some of the dark shale up in piles that can be accessed without entering the work area proper.

Finding full ones is not impossible, but fairly difficult, as it is more common to find moulted pieces. Some layers will also produced abundant Triarthrus fragments, if you decide to expand the trilobite hunt a bit more. 

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Wow! Thanks a lot! This is life-saving! I am a bit concerned about the accessibility of these sites, (we are currently in a Canadian winter) but I am armed with a broom and unnatural confidence!

Hi. I'm Canadian, but I live in Germany. I have however visited a site in a very small park whose name I've forgotten...I think it begins with a 'T'... just north of Manotick on the east bank of the Rideau river where shale containing those trilobites has been deposited to shore up the banks. Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum from Morocco! 

Good luck with the hunting.

Brrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

5 minutes ago, Pseudogygites said:

Wow! Thanks a lot! This is life-saving! I am a bit concerned about the accessibility of these sites, (we are currently in a Canadian winter) but I am armed with a broom and unnatural confidence!

Good luck, indeed! The shale does retain a bit of moisture, and it might be frozen solid underneath all that snow. Now that I know you are thinking of collecting in the very near future, I am obliged to advise you to be extremely careful near the rivers this time of year. No fossil is worth taking a risk with your life!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Hi. I'm Canadian, but I live in Germany. I have however visited a site in a very small park whose name I've forgotten...I think it begins with a 'T'... just north of Manotick on the east bank of the Rideau river where shale containing those trilobites has been deposited to shore up the banks. Good luck!

On second thought, I think it's called River Bend Park.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yes, I am planning on collecting in the near future. The science fair project is due in February, after all. Thank you all for the advice! I will not do anything too dangerous or put my life in danger for these fossils. Though, I wouldn't mind risking my life for a good Cryptolithus...