Stuff From My Burlington Pilgrimage

Ron E.

Some pics from my trip to Springfield, MO, as recommended by crinus, that took place on 7/24/2009.

post-1880-1249147150_thumb.jpg

Cool brachiopod preservation,. you don't usually see the thinness of their shells.

post-1880-1249147255_thumb.jpg

Found these guys on a rock in a creekbed twenty miles south of town, near a quarry and a state park. It was almost wedged up under a poured slab that made crossing the creek easier on dumptrucks. Anomalous? I didn't find a single rock like this one anywhere in the area. Oh, and a species ID would be appreciated :)

post-1880-1249147415_thumb.jpg

Here's the reverse. The huge quartz crystals looked very much out of place with the existing rocks.

post-1880-1249147471_thumb.jpg

TONS of platyceras in the Burlington rocks!

post-1880-1249147506_thumb.jpg

Also, not unusual to find specimens that were badly worn at time of fossilization, then were fossilized full of sandy stuff from the bottom. Kewl!

post-1880-1249147724_thumb.jpg post-1880-1249147787_thumb.jpg

post-1880-1249147805_thumb.jpg

Found this in some crinoid-encrusted limestone. A crushed calyx? It's about 2" in diameter.

Whew! Only have 43.77k left! Most images I've ever uploaded for a post!

Your "dump truck erratic" probably didn't come from too far away, given the cost of hauling rock fill; maybe from a quarry level that is otherwise not exposed in the area?

Good trip!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have seen this type of formation in Texas. Can't remember where. Nice finds.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Very sweet finds!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice finds! You unusual rock looks like it has snail casts in it. the texture of the rock and presence of Quartz crystals imply to me that it's a chert more than a limestone.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/