90 Million Year Old Un-petrified Wood?

jax

It has been raining here all week, rained this morning, then again this afternoon. Probably got 1.5in or more today alone. So I hit a kamp ranch site with my dad and brother. While we were there we watched a thunderstorm pass just south of us. Pretty cool lightning show, and it cooled things off too.

OK, I split a hunk of limestone and found this charcoal inside. I have found smaller pieces before, but this had wood left. Its pretty neat find. I guess the question is, is this old wood?

Found a few nice Ptychodus, my dad found a nice big one, prob 3/4 in or so wide and tall. My find of the day is the rear ginsu tooth. (lower left of pic)

post-221-1249187303_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249187338_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249187492_thumb.jpg

During construction for a new school near Quantico, Virginia a hillside was excavated which exposed some Cretaceous strata. I managed to check it out one time for about ten minutes. I found a large section of tree trunk weighing about 50 pounds or so that was a combination of pyritized and carbonized wood. So in answer to you question, yes ancient wood can be carbonized (looking like charcoal) and still be a fossil.

Nice teeth. I really like the Ptychodus.

guess the answer is - if you noted that the formation appeared un-reworked since deposition, and the wood was in the formation, then the wood is as old as the formation.

p.s. - by googling "kamp ranch" + carbonized, i found several references to carbonized material in that unit, including one that indicated that more or less all plant material found in that unit is carbonized.

guess the answer is - if you noted that the formation appeared un-reworked since deposition, and the wood was in the formation, then the wood is as old as the formation.

Brilliant deduction Holmes!

Dr Watson

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Look for amber!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Look for amber!

Pray tell, where would one find amber in Texas? Inquiring mind wants to know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

i'm not sure how much amber you'd find there, but the location auspex referenced is in an area that does have fossils, and the area is so cool that it would be worth going there to hang out for a week even if you didn't find anything.

Cool. I know it is found once in a while. I have seen a small piece from the Duck Creek. I have some from the Eocene.

...One slight problem though. It's right at 600 miles from Dallas, in the Big Bend.

Not my fault Texas is so dang big! :P

Thanks for the info! One slight problem though. It's right at 600 miles from Dallas, in the Big Bend.

well - that's why big bend is so cool. it's such rough country and so far from "civilization" that it gets to be un-ruined. pack now, leave by dark, and you'll be there in the morning!

well - that's why big bend is so cool. it's such rough country and so far from "civilization" that it gets to be un-ruined. pack now, leave by dark, and you'll be there in the morning!

Always wanted to make the trip, but never did. It is some ruggedly beautiful country. Could have hunted for fossils then. It is forboden now. :( Do you know if they still have the Chili cook-off in Terlingua?