A Strange One

DaveHawk

Nice teeth smokepoll LOL Not sure where to post yet so I'm sorry if I stepped in on you.

Good to see I have a friend in here.

I'm trying to figure out how to get Two 6" 3 toe dinosaur fossils out of a 7' diameter red granite bolder. I found them fishing trout in WV.

Here is one for you to figure out, plus a little collecting of teeth.

The geometric fossil is one I have no idea what it is. I found it close to where I found the 3 doe dinosaur fossils.

post-2019-1249232719_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232730_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232740_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232776_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232787_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232802_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1249232817_thumb.jpg

The last three pics are Stigmaria; Carboniferous tree roots.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, It's been sitting on the mantel for the past 3 years. With out a clue, but then again I was not searching very hard to find out. .

The last three pics are Stigmaria; Carboniferous tree roots.

Why do you say fossils are not found in granite? When I clearly found one. In one of the oldest river beds on the east coast.

^^Yep, and fossils aren't found in granite.

Granite is an igneous rock; formed from a molten state at great depth.

Fossils are found in sedimentary deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ok Then I am not reading the rock correctly. Which is good cause I know it would be hard to chip these prints out of granite. I hope to make a return trip back up to the river bed soon.

Get some pics when you do!

Very nice finds! Welcome to the Forum!!

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Dave sweet fossils. Good luck with your find...sounds like you better bring a big hammer ;)

LIFE IS SHORT...HUNT HARD!!!

It could be metamorphic rock, though usually the fossils are crushed/deformed if they are of any decent size. Most likely sedimentary--pics would help.

It could be metamorphic rock, though usually the fossils are crushed/deformed if they are of any decent size. Most likely sedimentary--pics would help.

If anything I thing sedimentany now that you ,emtioned it. Man this makes me what to make the trip sooner then later.

Guest solius symbiosus

West Virginia, except for the very eastern part of the state, is covered by Paleozoic sedimentary rocks. Since your find is a stigmaria, Sil-Miss limestones are ruled out. That leaves Penn, and Perm. rocks. I'm not that familiar with the Perm. stuff of your state, but stigmaria are a common find in the Penn rocks.

During that time, the western slopes of the proto-Appalachians produced vast deltaic lobes that resulted in the coal deposits that are common to the area.

Very close to Md , right on the boarder.

West Virginia, except for the very eastern part of the state, is covered by Paleozoic sedimentary rocks. Since your find is a stigmaria, Sil-Miss limestones are ruled out. That leaves Penn, and Perm. rocks. I'm not that familiar with the Perm. stuff of your state, but stigmaria are a common find in the Penn rocks.

During that time, the western slopes of the proto-Appalachians produced vast deltaic lobes that resulted in the coal deposits that are common to the area.

i would come and help you with your dig but ill be heading to SC friday.

bmore I would like to get a group together for a trip. Terp lives in the area also. Our only problem is deer season starts the 15 of Sept for bow. LOL