Latest Trip To Ramanessin

Haddy

I went to a couple of spots in between rains. Looks like there was a lot of water in the brook that moved some trees around. Pretty good finds, but so many broken ones! I'll attach a close-up of one of my finds -- it's hollow inside, doesn't float, feels like enamel. Any idea what it could be?

post-1782-1249257075_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257088_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257098_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257106_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd attach a few photos of some of the larger teeth as I found them. It's really not all that easy to spot them sometimes.

post-1782-1249257204_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257212_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257223_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257233_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257240_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257248_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257268_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249257288_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the finds. I wanted to go up today but the thunderstorms when I woke up curtailed that thought. The last two pics look like a rodent tooth, maybe rabbit? Probably modern.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great in situ pics!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Congrats on the finds. I wanted to go up today but the thunderstorms when I woke up curtailed that thought. The last two pics look like a rodent tooth, maybe rabbit? Probably modern.

If you'd gotten there early, it probably would've been OK, but they got a lot of rain. I really don't like being in water when there's lightning all that much.... plus the drive home might've been miserable. It really poured here for hours. Looks like lots of water and wind damage in some towns nearby. I spent much of the day organizing my collection.

Thanks for the id. I thought that it might be modern.

Were you there today? Because I was wondering whose footprints I found there! I was hoping I'd be the first one out there after all these storms, but I wasn't so lucky. I only hunted banks today, rather than sifting. I saw the footprints, so knew better than to expect any really large teeth this time, but I did find some pretty good sized teeth, some large ray teeth, and 3 ammonite chambers (my first ones!), among a few other things that I can't identify just yet. I was there as it started to rain, around 2, and got caught in the downpour on my way across the field, and got drenched, despite having an umbrella (I at least planned that far). But the ammonite chambers alone made it worth it. I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Were you there today? Because I was wondering whose footprints I found there! I was hoping I'd be the first one out there after all these storms, but I wasn't so lucky. I only hunted banks today, rather than sifting. I saw the footprints, so knew better than to expect any really large teeth this time, but I did find some pretty good sized teeth, some large ray teeth, and 3 ammonite chambers (my first ones!), among a few other things that I can't identify just yet. I was there as it started to rain, around 2, and got caught in the downpour on my way across the field, and got drenched, despite having an umbrella (I at least planned that far). But the ammonite chambers alone made it worth it. I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow.

Very cool! I was there yesterday -- today's forecast scared me!

I went through and was surprised on my return trip that there were additional teeth to be found. Some at the water's edge as the water level dropped, but also others that weren't visible hours before. There was a lot of sand that must have been shifting after the flooding. I sifted at a couple of places. I got some nice finds but there sure were a lot of broken ones! I also hit another area, similar results. Did you notice all the trees that had moved?

Great in situ pics!

Thanks. They seem to have disappeared when I deleted the duplicate post, so I'll add 'em again.

post-1782-1249261711_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261718_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261724_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261733_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261745_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261755_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261770_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1249261780_thumb.jpg

I went to a couple of spots in between rains. Looks like there was a lot of water in the brook that moved some trees around. Pretty good finds, but so many broken ones! I'll attach a close-up of one of my finds -- it's hollow inside, doesn't float, feels like enamel. Any idea what it could be?

nice finds sue...how have you been? i havent been hunting in a few weeks. wreaked my truck. where did you put in at? downstream?

nice finds sue...how have you been? i havent been hunting in a few weeks. wreaked my truck. where did you put in at? downstream?

Sorry to hear that; hope it's better now. I've been pretty good, thanks. Same plus upstream. Need to find more unbroken ones! I probably will be free to hit the brooks in 2 weeks if you're around. Or MD?

Sorry to hear that; hope it's better now. I've been pretty good, thanks. Same plus upstream. Need to find more unbroken ones! I probably will be free to hit the brooks in 2 weeks if you're around. Or MD?

no...lol...it's done for. i was fossil hunting at inversand, and got my truck stuck in a hole. it took me 8 hrs to get it unstuck. i fell asleep on my way home, and took out a pole. lucky to be alive, but the truck is totaled. my cel is off cause there isnt much work, but you can always reach me online. my email addy is lordpiney@yahoo.com. id love to tag along sometime but i might need a ride. let me know when your going again.

no...lol...it's done for. i was fossil hunting at inversand, and got my truck stuck in a hole. it took me 8 hrs to get it unstuck. i fell asleep on my way home, and took out a pole. lucky to be alive, but the truck is totaled. my cel is off cause there isnt much work, but you can always reach me online. my email addy is lordpiney@yahoo.com. id love to tag along sometime but i might need a ride. let me know when your going again.

Wow, sorry to hear that! But glad that you're OK!

Weekend after this, 8/15-16 is probably the next trip for me, depending on weather. I also know another guy down your way; I'll see when he's going next.

Nice haul. Don't you just love stuff you can't identify. It makes it more fun when you go home and start researching.

I was at big brook on saturday( crazy ttraffic going there) and didn't really find too much. My son spotted a nice reddish-brown goblin tooth as soon as he made it down those so called steps. I might try Ramanessin this saturday. See ya around-JQ

Oh, and the tooth to me looks like a peccarry incisor but what do i know. Shamalama may be right with his i.d.

Yes, I did think the trees looked a bit off. But that was only my third trip to that spot, so I chocked it up to bad memory. I'll probably be heading back this coming Saturday, if anyone else is going. Though I'd like to find some new spots for some different material one of these days.

I've only been there a few times as well. Good spot!

I'm probably not going to be able to make it this weekend but will be available the following one.

Anyone up for a field trip to Calvert Cliffs?