megaholic

I found a very large vertebrae in the Peace River about 3 weeks ago. It dried with a white mold all over it.  I have not had this problem before this, and I have many large bone fossils. It is very solid, and it took many days more than I expected to dry. 

I am now looking for a method to remove the mildew/mold from the surface. It is 6 X 6 inches, and in good condition.  I just want it to look like it did when I found it, before I consolidate it.  Brushing it just smears it in worse, I need a liquid removal method that will not harm the fossil. 

Has anyone done it before me?

Thanks for looking.

001.thumb.JPG.614a85c79c67f47a3d820314adc99ab8.JPG

003.thumb.JPG.fe36607dce33cc1439369572688e643c.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.dcd399e2fc38496402f4237a939e689c.JPG

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I will try that Harry.

Thank you...

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

On 1/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, Harry Pristis said:

A moderate solution of laundry bleach in water should eliminate all those pesky organisms.

Agreed. A ratio of 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water will kill just about everything that lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Just saw this topic but that would be my suggestion as well. Give it a good long soak in some fresh water after the chlorine bath to leach out any chlorine locked away in that porous structure. Then I'd suggest a quicker drying so the mold doesn't have any chance to reappear (though the spores should be wiped by then). Might consider setting it in a sunny spot to dry or even on the dashboard of a car sitting in the sun. This should bake out the moisture without being as aggressive as popping it in the microwave.

Cool vert.

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, please do not use a microwave!!!!

Although this time of year may not yield much heat in a dashboard, you can try a very low heat setting on the oven (just enough to create a nice dry heat similar to summer) for about an hour. That should dry things off considerably.

"Mmmmm, hey honey. Whatcha got cooking, it smells great!"

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

45 minutes ago, caldigger said:

"Mmmmm, hey honey. Whatcha got cooking, it smells great!"

Oh, no! It looks burnt--it's all black and solid as a rock. :P

New Food Channel reality show--Pleistocene Chef...and your secret ingredient this week is....Ground Sloth!

Cheers.

-Ken