I Couldnt Resist.

Allen Smilden

I had recently bought this fossile..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Now upon recieving it there were various features which gave the impression of it being fake. It would glow a neon color under black light and also revealed some cracks which made me believe it was real. But also revealed a lot of epoxy.... So I broke it up and I want your guys' opinion.... was it fake?

I smacked it with a hammer and this is the result!

post-1974-1249370149_thumb.jpg

View of right side "fossil" visible

post-1974-1249370213_thumb.jpg

View of right from the side fossil would be at the top layer.

post-1974-1249370258_thumb.jpg

View of left side "fossil visible

post-1974-1249370321_thumb.jpg

View of left side fossil would be at the top layer. Its kind of shiny on hte inside.

post-1974-1249370355_thumb.jpg

View of left side turend upside down

post-1974-1249370444_thumb.jpg

So what do you guys think? Obvious fake?

from close examination of the photos, i'm basically certain that your hammer was real.

One thing that I have seen (not an expert) is that when the Moroccans make fakes, they do so of the more perfect specimens as they sell better.

(Ed to add) Also a lot more scratch marks are there (to hide the fakery). also, these trilobites are usually collected by breaking the rock to expose the fossil which is often broken in half by the procedure and then gluing it back together prior to grinding down to the fossil. So one would expect under blacklight to see glue on a real one.

This specimen was too damaged to start with to make it profitable to copy, so I am inclined to think it is probably real.

Be true to the reality you create.

I thought the fossil would extend into the rock a little bit? Also in the 6th picture that round chamber you see is very shiney, as if it were covered in wax.

If it was real, it had to have been a shed exoskeleton.

Stick it with a red-hot needle, to see whether it's resin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for everyones input, Auspex that is a good idea I will try that when I get home. Also now that I think about it you may be right. It looks like how a shed skin would look. partly messed up like the top part was broken. But we will see. I'm actually not bummed at all about this fossil I only paid 10 bucks for it. At the very least I learning some stuff. :)

Edit: I burned it!

Photo one shows the left half of the fossil again. The part that looks like a trilobite started getting flaky and turned gray at the edges.

post-1974-1249428227_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 shows the left half from the side. and you can see that cavity and major parts of it actually burned. that weird gray thing turned an ashy color and the edges of that shiny chamber turned black. Also on the upper left you can see where the fossil burned through so you can see right threw it.

post-1974-1249428331_thumb.jpg