ID required for shelled organism (possibly ammonite)

Kaiju Slayer333

I found this in Long Island and although it’s likely a ammonite, I wanted to make sure it’s not some other shelled organism.

image.jpg

Goniatite1.JPG.aef05c28cfa653f05f5e11ae038b242e.JPG

Here's an old, bad quality photo i have of one of my goniaities for comparison. 

As Tony says, simple suture lines and not much ornamentation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

True. I’ve seen ammonite fossils with simple designs but not only were they not that simple, but they were polished. All of them. So there may be some connection. So I guess it’s likely a goniatite

It could be a goniatite as others have suggested. If so, this may actually be of some value for you in terms of determining the age of the finds in that area - if it is not a product of glacial drift or imported fill. The closer you can come to identify a range of fossils in a collecting area as being of similar age, the better you may be able to target that area for finding other interesting specimens.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So if I can find the area where this was found, it could be a valuable place for more fossils? Because no joke, that would be cool.

It is a possibility, for sure! Natural exposures of rock are perhaps among the more stable places to find fossils of the same age as they would be nested in the strata as opposed to tossed about through natural forces or human intervention. It might be worth it to obtain a geological map of your area. Using geological maps helps a lot of us either track down new locations, or help describe the specimens we find at some locations. 

Once you're able to pinpoint it down to formation and member, it is then a simple task of reading up on the typical fossils that can be found in those layers. This is where fossil collecting takes on the fun of detective work!

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

So if I can find the area where this was found, it could be a valuable place for more fossils? Because no joke, that would be cool.

A good possibility, provided legal access is available.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ok but just so you know I collect these fossils as a hobby, I’m not a professional and as I’ve said before, quite a bit of my collection I did not find myself. Plus I’m not revealing my age but I’m pretty young.

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Ok but just so you know I collect these fossils as a hobby, I’m not a professional and as I’ve said before, quite a bit of my collection I did not find myself. Plus I’m not revealing my age but I’m pretty young.

A lot of us are also hobbyists. :) 

I was collecting at 6 or 7 years old, and I got my first geological map of my city at around 10, and regularly used my public library to learn more about fossils. There's a lot to learn, but the fun aspect of it makes it not feel like work. As long as you remain safe and keep activity legal, you can indulge that passion firsthand through map reading, research, and exploring. It definitely is a rewarding hobby for so many reasons. :) 

• I found this Informative 4

5 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Ok but just so you know I collect these fossils as a hobby, I’m not a professional and as I’ve said before, quite a bit of my collection I did not find myself.

Nothing wrong with this, but You should try to get location information with any purchases You make.

PS What Kane said too.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks by the way. Listen, for most of my collection. If what is said is true, those fossils including those goniatites since I got more 1, are from Long Island or around the general area.

You might find this old fossil forum post helpful, including the link mentioned in the post. Most of Long Island is glacial moraine, but fossils have occasionally been found. Enjoy your journey.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Your specimen looks close to these ones (borrowed from the internet), including the mineralization.

image.jpg.6740ec3c762c68a74f8be71383bfbd95.thumb.jpg.f7f5777bcf4d98cdee6236d5d41b8596.jpgd8c0335accb9abfa1c0160b141292488--kid-science-extinct.jpg.43c842ca5a1847d83e7a01a74bf56d63.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Where were those ones found?

That was my question to Dave Frost on Pinterest. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like a Mississippian form called Winchelloceras sp.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Looks like a Moroccan haematite Prionoceras sp? 

If it is it's Upper Devonian. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That’s more likely then because if it’s not from Long Island. I’m guaranteed it’s from Morocco 

or a Mississipian Polaricyclus ? ballardensis. From the Borden Formation, Coral Ridge member, Louisville, KY

M-Polaricyclus ballardensis.jpg

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Your specimen looks close to these ones (borrowed from the internet), including the mineralization.

image.jpg.6740ec3c762c68a74f8be71383bfbd95.thumb.jpg.f7f5777bcf4d98cdee6236d5d41b8596.jpgd8c0335accb9abfa1c0160b141292488--kid-science-extinct.jpg.43c842ca5a1847d83e7a01a74bf56d63.jpg

Nice specimen