big brook finds today help please coprolite? others

brad hinkelman

The pic of the inside makes me think that it is a concretion/something man-made.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

How can you tell the species from such a small fragment? Just curious...

Hi Max,

Well, the two most common crustaceans in the area are the ghost shrimp Mesostylus mortoni and the lobster Hoploparia gabbi, so it was easy to narrow down the ID because of the shape and bumps on the arm segment's surface.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

12 minutes ago, josephstrizhak said:

The pic of the inside makes me think that it is a concretion/something man-made.

I'm thinking the same at this point.....thanks

Looking closer at picture 2 it does look like it has a spiral ridge. If it is a screw that has completely oxidized it may have lost its magnetism.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Hi Max,

Well, the two most common crustaceans in the area are the ghost shrimp Mesostylus mortoni and the lobster Hoploparia gabbi, so it was easy to narrow down the ID because of the shape and bumps on the arm segment's surface.

Aha. Thanks for the clarification :fistbump:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

10 hours ago, ynot said:

Looking closer at picture 2 it does look like it has a spiral ridge. If it is a screw that has completely oxidized it may have lost its magnetism.

I noticed the spiral too, but the taper seems irregular for a screw. Perhaps it's a better match for some of the metal shavings made in a machine shop ?

Comparing these images I'm pretty sure that the specimen in question is man-made. :)

as1.jpg.6308285db625e50cdeae2782c2e7bb29.thumb.jpg.82e903d418d4f6def38734fab0908501.jpgBrass_iron_couple_and_brass_iron_wood_te.thumb.jpg.e280e5b3fa11bd4e010d61ae7947c319.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 1/29/2018 at 1:16 AM, josephstrizhak said:

Sorry, I'm seeing late your post, but I think you are correct. That was my thought, also. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up and haven't yet read through the whole thread but I agree 100% that the first one is a fish coprolite, the second is probably the spiral of metal formed when drilling a hole in metal (I've seen these out there before), and the last is a segment of the arm of a ghost shrimp.

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/29/2018 at 1:46 PM, erose said:

I'd put good money on number two being a rusted crew. 

Now I wish I had taken you up on that. :)