What is this vertebra from?

Adventurerlikeyou

It's actually pretty small. We are doubting it's a sturgeon.

I cannot find measuring tape to show you, but width is about half an inch.

20180128_190430.jpg

Definitely large fish, location?   Could be a sturgeon, could just as easily be a tarpon or a big musky.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Due to certain circumstances I cannot release actual location, but, I can tell you there are not real fossil records for that particular area. 

Definitely not sturgeon since they have a cartlilagenous skeleton. Identification of bony fish vertebrae is very difficult.

• I found this Informative 4

• Fossildude19 changed the title to What is this vertebra from?
9 hours ago, Adventurerlikeyou said:

Idaho medium desert 

I did not know that Idaho had desert...sure enough. I checked with my friend Google and it looks beautiful! 

Nice fish vert...now to find the rest.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hm. interesting... I didn't think there was even an inch of land in the US that has not been subject to geological exploration, classification, and study. :headscratch:

Without compromising the specific location, could you tell us which county or nearest town/city/village?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Bony fish vert. Beyond that, you might need an expert to ID it.

• I found this Informative 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Thank you all for your great information but it will have to be a different time to disclose the location because of certain regulations I do not want to be held accountable for if you know what I mean believe me I would love to tell everybody. but the strangest thing to me is there is a petrified forest on the location that is a common ground for low grade opal the elevation is not subject for aquatic fossils specificaly in this area I have found plenty coral beds at a lower elevation and 20 miles away but was looking for opalized wood when we came so on this specimen laying atop of high silica concentrtion (basically white dirt) it was but definetly is native as the remnants of its matrix matches the specific make-up of the other grounds around it. I hope this gives any insight into anything about it and my situation as to why I cannot disclose the area. And maybe in the future i will be able to find opalized fossils 

Geologic context is extremely important in being able to identify fossils. Without that, unless the fossil is an index species of a particular formation that is highly recognizable, it would be a little like me handing you a sandwich and asking if you knew who made it and where the ingredients were sourced.

I am very much hoping that where you are collecting is legal. If not, you would be very well advised not to continue collecting from that location, as we discourage any transgression of the law. Your statement of "certain regulations I do not want to be accountable for" sends up a flag for me. We are all accountable to the laws and regulations.

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

55 minutes ago, Adventurerlikeyou said:

Thank you all for your great information but it will have to be a different time to disclose the location because of certain regulations I do not want to be held accountable for if you know what I mean believe me I would love to tell everybody. but the strangest thing to me is there is a petrified forest on the location that is a common ground for low grade opal the elevation is not subject for aquatic fossils specificaly in this area I have found plenty coral beds at a lower elevation and 20 miles away but was looking for opalized wood when we came so on this specimen laying atop of high silica concentrtion (basically white dirt) it was but definetly is native as the remnants of its matrix matches the specific make-up of the other grounds around it. I hope this gives any insight into anything about it and my situation as to why I cannot disclose the area. And maybe in the future i will be able to find opalized fossils 

I've found this webpage that mentions fish fossils near a pet wood site. :unsure: 

Definitely not liking the sound of "...certain regulations I do not want to be held accountable for.:(

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

At the time i was not a 100% about the rules and regulations at the site at first when it was brought home we thought it was a petrified knot and after cleaned up found it was in fact a vertibre i did not want to be breaking any laws by accidentally taking it so i was withholding the information and I understand that is wrong but I did not want to be held accountable because Idaho has a law that you can still be held accountable even if you did not know you were doing wrong I know it may have brought up some red flags but it is all good now I am bring it to professionals thank you for your help sorry to alarm 

That webpage describes the area greatly it is just not a fully documented petrified wood bed and opal deposite your geological context is very simular to the Bruno petrified forest it seems to be almost exactly the same besides not as much petrified wood and more silica