What Am I?

BobC

bobc -

the heavy iron thingee that you wanted to know about is an iron thingee. johnj attempts to confuse issues by assigning high-falutin' names to things, but basically, the thing is some iron that hung out in some sediment and breathed too much oxygen and to compound the problem compounded the problem and became iron oxide, which john calls hematite.

iron like that hangs out in mass quantities in sedimentary rocks in order to make people pick it up and carry it home and ask others what it is. it's iron's way of spreading its genes around the planet, rather than windborne methods or cockleburresque sticking on your clothes or something. that's why pretty much anywhere you go on the planet, you find out iron's gotten there first.

and for you students out there reading this forum - tell your science teachers you're going to need to be held back for another year or so to unlearn everything you're picking up from me. life's like that, youngsters, and don't tell me it isn't fair. "fair" is when i get my way. that's why "fair" rhymes with "rare".

and "fare" is what you pay to ride a bus. which happens to be mostly made of iron, which is another way it gets around...

I agree with your bold and incisive theory, Tracer. In fact I was just about to post that exact hypothesis, word for word. John hates us because he covets our keen understanding of the breeding habits of Iron Thingees, and frankly, how could he not? Our theories have been published in all the scientific journals, including Iron Thingees Monthly and The Scientific Iron Thingimabob. John is still trying to get his crappy paper on "Phymagrammas" published--with a startling lack of success I might add.

John is feeding on my very SOUL.

Really nice echinoids and urchins! Really great condition also. I love the echinoids. What part of the country do they come from Texas? If ya want to trade some echinoids from your area for some from my area (North Carolina) let me know. Id love to have some from different locations.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

My video only has 11 views. It's hard to imagine being less popular.

Hey, Mr. Popularity! Nice video and nice finds! Looks like some of the stuff I found up in that area, except yours is better.

My video only has 11 views. It's hard to imagine being less popular.

your videos are frightening. after i watched the last one, i kept waking up in terror after dreaming i was being chased by giant semi-rare echinoids screaming, "prep us! prep us!"

can't deal with that kinda stuff...

Have you actually ever seen my shoddy "prep" work? Trust me---the echinoids are better off unmolested. First, I soak them for 37 hours in Vinegar (39% acidity), then I expose them to a flesh eating virus, and then I go for the blow torch. If anything is left after that, I smash it with a hammer.

Ashy--you all have me convinced. Identity solved. Thanks to everybody fo' tha halp.

By the way I went to onion creek the other day - - - -

Have you ever found Mosasaur bones there? (attached photo)

post-15-1249739570_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Hey here is my two cents...maybe three...

Definitely Pinna, but would need to see details for species ID. It is NOT a rudist although there are some rudists that have those longitudinal striations so I can see why the suggestion was made. The Walnut is chock full of em near Killeen. Because the shells were so thin they are almost always broken up so if you find a few chunks that are all associated and fit together you have done good. Especially if you have the pointy end. You should get a copy of the Waco map sheet from the TX Bureau of Economic Geology. It will show you what is exposed in and around that area.

BobC, I wish they had a way to flag people on the forum who enjoy certain fossils like echinoids. I come on from time to time but I guess I miss a lot of posts b/c I have not seen much on echinoids. I guess it would be hard to do that but wouldn't it be cool to chick onto Marine Fossils or Mammals etc. By the way I am number 17 watching your video and glad I checked it out it was great.

Thanks Law. My Youtube name is Noodleydoo and most of my videos are about echinoids--I love them! If you do a search on my name on Youtube--you'll find a ton of echinoid videos.

Seems like most people on this forum are into Shark teeth

Thanks E--does this photo help?

There are three species listed for the Fredericksburg Group, which the Walnut is part of. Those are P. comancheana, P. gaudalupae and P. petrina. The specimens I have collected from up that way I believe are all P. guadalupae based on a more rectangular cross section and the pattern created by the growth lines. They look just like yours.

Thanks Erose~those are the first Pinnas I ever found that I can recall. I just started snooping around in Killeen.

Cool look forward to seeing more of your videos! I like fossil teeth too but echinoids are special. :drool:

• 2 weeks later...

While Googling Parasimilia, I came across this picture, which they (link HERE) identified as Conularia. I'm pretty sure that it is not a Conularid, but it appears to me to be the pointy end of one of Bob's (and mine) pinna clams (I now humbly submit to the pinna sp. ID). It's the best picture of the "point" that I have come across so far.

What do you think?

post-534-1250561993_thumb.jpg