Pearl In The Rough

jax

Well, I did it again. I was bushwhacking through some weeds finding some rocks here and there when I came up on a huge rock mostly covered with dirt and grass. BUT, the piece that was sticking out had a nice little pearl showing :drool: I tried to pull the rock out, and she would budge. So I had to chip it out. It came out in a pretty nice piece of matrix. I will clean it up a bit, but the surface will stay like it is. On the way out, I looked down and found this pretty cool tooth. To me, it looks like a little mosasaur tooth. But I could be wrong. Its about 1/2in. I also found 2 watermelons, yep watermelons. I found a plant out growing, so i cut them and took em home! B) Will be my after diner snack.

thanks for looking

justin

post-221-1249599160_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599249_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599292_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599336_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599390_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599456_thumb.jpg

post-221-1249599525_thumb.jpg

Justin, is that more of the Eagle Ford matrix?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice finds!

And I wonder how those Watermelons will taste!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

That's awesome Jax, you just find stuff like that too often. Thank you for sharing.

Mike

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Looks like Kamp Ranch or Arcadia Park

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Another pearl for the Jaxman.Pretty soon you are gonna have a whole string of them.Hey, a couple of fell out of my produce truck yesterday...you seen em????Great find!

Another pearl for the Jaxman.Pretty soon you are gonna have a whole string of them.Hey, a couple of fell out of my produce truck yesterday...you seen em????Great find!

LOL. NICE finds i wish i would get stuff like that(watermelons included lol)

Man, what is it with you and pearls?! It's unnatural, that's all I can say about it. Awesome!

The tooth has a pretty good curve to it; could it be Plesiosaur?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man, what is it with you and pearls?! It's unnatural, that's all I can say about it. Awesome!

The tooth has a pretty good curve to it; could it be Plesiosaur?

The tooth was bugging me too. Jax, Eagle Ford and mosasaur = rare. How about Pachyrhizodus?

Can I have a piece of melon? Thanks. :D

Yum

Ya' gonna' leave them seeds in the matrix?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The tooth was bugging me too. Jax, Eagle Ford and mosasaur = rare. How about Pachyrhizodus?

Can I have a piece of melon? Thanks. :D

John, how rare are they in eagle ford? I have others like this one, but i have a few that resemble mosasaur or Plesiosaur.

I agree, this one look more fish like that reptile.

I'll give ya half a melon! It was good too!

John, how rare are they in eagle ford? I have others like this one, but i have a few that resemble mosasaur or Plesiosaur.

I agree, this one look more fish like that reptile.

I'll give ya half a melon! It was good too!

This whole paper is good, but check out page 262.

Justin, check on your son...he thinks that's a watermelon seed...oh, looks like someone's goin' pearl diving. :mellow:

Nice days collecting, and lunch to go....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

ok, let me throw a retch into this line of reasoning.

if'n one were to find jax, ok? and follow him to the kamp ranch fossilly goodness, which is probably the only way to find such cool stuff as he does, then one would be at the kamp ranch. with me so far?

ok, now - the kamp ranch is a squirrelly, mixed up storm deposit layer, is it not? (if it's not, tell me quick before i make a fool of myself).]}

ok, now assume one stands on the kamp ranch and gazes to the southeast - what does one sea?

exactly. the freakin' sea was that way! the freakin' storm in the freakin' sea brought the freakin' mosasaur, dolichosaur, coniasaur, plesiosaur, and tracerosaur (not discovered yet, but still) teeth from offshore, over by the homes of several of ya'll members who are living waaaay below sea level if you go back to the chalkaceous.

so anyway, to hurry and make my point, "finders' keepers, losers' weepers" doesn't mean that the finder and the loser have to be in the same strata. specially in north texas, not to mention oklahoma, where the wind comes whistling down the plains and can blow you into sunday.

(is this a good argument or was i just stupid again? i'm tryin' to keep a runnin' tally)

Nice find Jax. I think you have a definite eye for those suckers. :)

Tracer, you do make a good point. I guess that storm or regular sea deposition could place a pearl in many locales. Maybe I'm just not lookin' hard enough.

um, travis - i wasn't talking about pearls. i was talking about teeth. pearls all end up eventually in the malls. i'm not sure how they get there...

um, travis - i wasn't talking about pearls. i was talking about teeth. pearls all end up eventually in the malls. i'm not sure how they get there...

UPS or Federal Express.

...ok, now - the kamp ranch is a squirrelly, mixed up storm deposit layer, is it not? (if it's not, tell me quick before i make a fool of myself).]}

ok, now assume one stands on the kamp ranch and gazes to the southeast - what does one sea?

exactly. the freakin' sea was that way! the freakin' storm in the freakin' sea brought the freakin' mosasaur, dolichosaur, coniasaur, plesiosaur, and tracerosaur (not discovered yet, but still) teeth from offshore, over by the homes of several of ya'll members who are living waaaay below sea level if you go back to the chalkaceous.

so anyway, to hurry and make my point, "finders' keepers, losers' weepers" doesn't mean that the finder and the loser have to be in the same strata. specially in north texas, not to mention oklahoma, where the wind comes whistling down the plains and can blow you into sunday...

uhhh, it almost sounded like you were gonna' start singing toward the end there. If so, please give us a sound check first...

But back at the beach, if the most early mosasaurs were found in deposits After the Kamp Ranch storm deposit, then the "losers" and "weepers" would not be common in that beach of a storm deposit. So, in the hopes I'd find something realllllly cool (besides those pearlus jaxi) in the Kamp Ranch, I'd spend some time familiarizing myself on teeth of early mosasaurs with photos, papers, and visits to SMU.

Right now, I need to get back to my thesis on how the Storms of the Kamp Ranch were so fierce that they shook the pearls out of the Toothed pearlus jaxi oysterclams and threw them near Justin's house....

Way to go! I always love the pearls. Your tooth reminds me more of Plesiosaur, a iittle slimmer than Mosasaur. Remember, this is just my SWAG. :rolleyes:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

john - i left out one thing.

several deloreans have been found in the kamp ranch.

<sigh>

i'm gonna stop tryin' to help ya'll "optimize" your finds. you just are too attached to accuracy...

Maybe all that storm turbidity made for irritable bivalve syndrome?

Maybe all that storm turbidity made for irritable bivalve syndrome?

Awww! I can't believe you said that. :rolleyes:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past