Williamb55

Hello! First time posting on the forum so any help is good! I recently went hunting for a few hours and was able to have a decent day by myself at the water. I need help to ID the two teeth I posted up-closes of. The fragment would've been a sweet tooth if whole and I wish the other tooth had the other cusp! I believe both teeth are from the same species of shark, but I have never found a species like this. I have never heard of Carcharocles angustiden being found in the MD/VA area and the area I was at I believe is mostly early Miocene so I was thinking it might be a Carcharocles chubutensis??? I also found some decent Makos and a very nice Barracuda tooth which I thought was pretty cool.

Popes Creek 5.jpg

Popes Creek 1.jpg

Popes Creek 2.jpg

Popes Creek 3.jpg

Popes Creek 4.jpg

As far as I know, the way to determine if it's a chub or angu is to determine if the cusp has sufficiently fused with the crown enough to be considered part of it (vestigal cusp). Imo, the back side shows that the cusp and crown have been fully fused together, so I guess chub, maybe.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

That’s an angustidens, but what I would be more excited about is this! Looks like a Parotodus Benedeni?!

hope shark tooth people can confirm. Is a bit strange for the cliffs but I’ve bever been to pope creek, might be a more basal member there (earliest Miocene perhaps?)

someone more familiar with that particular are could tell you. Maybe @Gizmo

F4E4EB9F-A90D-458B-BBDD-F50D47582D9C.jpeg

P.s. I like threshers a lot, hence my my reaction and the drool covering my iphone:drool:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If Pope's Creek is Miocene and Eocene I'd say it is auriculatis from the Eocene (Nanjemoy?). Looks like a meg in top right of group pic. (not speaking of the potential benedeni but the OP)

The first image tooth and the second image half tooth appear to be Angies (Carcharocles Angustiden). 

The larger one in the third image appears to be a Chub (Carcharocles Chubutensis). I also see what appears to be 4 Sand tigers, another small Angie, a mako and a Thresher as far as identifiable teeth go. The fragments are nigh impossible to ID, though.

As for the larger non-tooth specimen, can you provide more images in better light? I'm not entirely sure what it is in this light.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

The first image tooth and the second image half tooth appear to be Angies (Carcharocles Angustiden). 

The larger one in the third image appears to be a Chub (Carcharocles Chubutensis). I also see what appears to be 4 Sand tigers, another small Angie, a mako and a Thresher as far as identifiable teeth go. The fragments are nigh impossible to ID, though.

As for the larger non-tooth specimen, can you provide more images in better light? I'm not entirely sure what it is in this light.

Sorry for the poor quality, here's a better picture. I believe it is a whale disc vertebrae or the piece between each section of vertebrae. It was just sitting ontop of a recent exposure so I thought it was pretty cool! :D

back.JPG

Vertebrae.JPG

18 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

That’s an angustidens, but what I would be more excited about is this! Looks like a Parotodus Benedeni?!

hope shark tooth people can confirm. Is a bit strange for the cliffs but I’ve bever been to pope creek, might be a more basal member there (earliest Miocene perhaps?)

someone more familiar with that particular are could tell you. Maybe @Gizmo

F4E4EB9F-A90D-458B-BBDD-F50D47582D9C.jpeg

P.s. I like threshers a lot, hence my my reaction and the drool covering my iphone:drool:

Wow! I had no idea, I thought it may be a blade portion of an Otodus obliquus, but that would be so cool if it is a Benedini or Thresher. I took some better close ups for you to look at because the group photo is dark/blurry. 

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

3 hours ago, Plax said:

If Pope's Creek is Miocene and Eocene I'd say it is auriculatis from the Eocene (Nanjemoy?). Looks like a meg in top right of group pic. (not speaking of the potential benedeni but the OP)

I’ve never heard of an auriculatus from the nanjemoy, it’s very early Eocene. Have seen Otodus aksauticus, but this looks distinctly Carcharocles (I know Carcharocles isn’t a genus for the time being but you get what I mean)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 2/13/2018 at 3:26 PM, Williamb55 said:

Sorry for the poor quality, here's a better picture. I believe it is a whale disc vertebrae or the piece between each section of vertebrae. It was just sitting ontop of a recent exposure so I thought it was pretty cool! :D

back.JPG  Vertebrae.JPG

I'm inclined to agree. Any other angles we can see it from?

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

2 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

I'm inclined to agree. Any other angles we can see it from?

Here's a top view and also a side view 

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

On 2/13/2018 at 3:39 PM, Williamb55 said:

Here's a top view and also a side view 

IMG_2236.JPG  IMG_2235.JPG

I still think vert, but not entirely sure from what. Neat find!

am thinking the site is in Fossil collecting in Maryland but am in work away from the paper lit. If someone with more time than me can look up the site to see the stratigraphy it will make things easier. To me the OP teeth look like auriculatis. My angustidens from the old church lag are much flatter through the root. A little googling on Pope's Creek says Miocene and early Eocene. The lag between the two would possible have fossils from the intervening time as is typical of lag deposits.

2 minutes ago, Plax said:

am thinking the site is in Fossil collecting in Maryland but am in work away from the paper lit. If someone with more time than me can look up the site to see the stratigraphy it will make things easier. To me the OP teeth look like auriculatis. My angustidens from the old church lag are much flatter through the root. A little googling on Pope's Creek says Miocene and early Eocene. The lag between the two would possible have fossils from the intervening time as is typical of lag deposits.

Possible. @MarcoSr what say you on all this (thresher and megatooth/stratigraphy)?

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Possible. @MarcoSr what say you on all this (thresher and megatooth/stratigraphy)?

The site has early Eocene, some Potapaco Member but mostly Woodstock Member of the Nanjemoy Formation, an Eocene reworked lag layer, and early Miocene, Fairhaven Formation and early Calvert Formation.  There aren't Oligocene layers at the site or reworked Oligocene layers.  However, some species in the Fairhaven, can be confused with species from the Oligocene.  You find Otodus obliquus, Otodus transitionals (very rare), and O. auriculatus  from the Eocene Woodstock Member.  Typically O. auriculatus out of the lag layer.  You find mostly O. chubutensis out of the Miocene layers but you can occasionally find O. megalodon.  You can find Miocene Parotodus (very rare).  Below: 1 O. chubutensis, 2 (Need to look at crown edges under magnification to see if any evidence of serrations.)  The black teeth come out of the lag layer and are typically reworked Eocene teeth. 3.  Looks like an O. auriculatus from the lag layer. 4.  looks like the blade of an Otodus obliquus.  5.  Looks like a turtle scute.

5a82390aa49d7_PopesCreek4.jpg.a1ce0158929aa7ec2359506db19c4ad2.thumb.jpg.918a5e23f00ab92130e67aefbbc9046f.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 4

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png