Comet Collisions

32fordboy

If I'm not mistaken, the Chicxulub event was caused by an asteroid, not a comet.

I guess if they claim that comets weren't responsible for any mass extinction events, they would be essentially correct... lol.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Just goes to show we can't be too set in our beliefs and we have to be open to new evidence when it's discovered! Our knowledge keeps increasing. :)

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

If I'm not mistaken, the Chicxulub event was caused by an asteroid, not a comet.

I guess if they claim that comets weren't responsible for any mass extinction events, they would be essentially correct... lol.

Excellent catch...

Guest solius symbiosus

^^There is debate as to whether the Chicxilub event led to the extinction at the end of the Cretaceous.

^^

Safe to assume that it was a tricky day for the critters living at the point of impact, anyway.

As for actual global extinctions, both sides of the debate have valid points. Actual evidence is hard to come by, and subject to assumptive interpretation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A Asteroid struck the Earth at such a precise angle and location it started a chain reaction of volcanic eruptions thus blanketing the Earth in a vale of smoke and ash triggering a catastrophic event , so indirectly a Asteroid caused the demise of the Dinosaur .

That and our ancestors from planet GtbK saw that in order to inhabit the new planet the large creatures would need to go !

Hey , it could happen !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !