Isle of Sheppey UK, Odd Balls.

Spectrum

6 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Once you find fossil poo - nothing else will do :D

Poop  poop it do.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This is my 2 cents on it. I think they look like a type of mineral formation, almost like rosetts that either formed inside the concretion or infilled with the lighter material after formation. Septarian nodules form in a similar way. With septarian the type of mineral can form at angles specific for the mineral. This is an example of a septarian where the clay has weathered away. The mineral in my example is most likely calcite and aragonite. There is a sea shell fragment at the center of it, which you can’t see from these shots.

E9529EE0-FE22-418C-ACDD-14407159C7D9.thumb.jpeg.623bc0a7f51a6dabe8af9955203b6355.jpeg

0F3E3BD3-CF66-44B6-827F-8C5E7C2EF145.thumb.jpeg.76fb55cf6936d27a98c35393f7f83139.jpeg

Now try to imagine yours with the tan part weathered away.

There are a number of minerals that form rosettes. Hematite can form rosettes. A specific type of mineral formation pattern is something to consider.

On 2/18/2018 at 3:54 PM, GeschWhat said:

That really does look like a coprolite to me. You don't see that kind very often. I have quite a few from Isle of Sheppey. All look like they are made of the same material, but none of mine have that shape. I almost wonder if this one is a coprolite as well. Perhaps that is what they look like prior to opening up after exposure to the water - which would make sense. Extraordinary! @Carl?

Here are some smaller examples from Morocco.

If you find more, send me a PM and perhaps we can work out a deal/trade for some US poo :)

Spiral-Coprolite-Pair-Kem-Kem-Beds-Morocco-Cover2.jpg

Isle of Sheppey.jpg

Wow... My guts says no for coprolite but the comparison with the Moroccan specimen certainly raises an eyebrow. If they are coprolites, that's another search image I'll have to file away!

On 2/20/2018 at 9:16 AM, Carl said:

Wow... My guts says no for coprolite but the comparison with the Moroccan specimen certainly raises an eyebrow. If they are coprolites, that's another search image I'll have to file away!

I've never seen that flower-like form outside of the Moroccan specimens, but the coloration/material does look about right for coprolites from the London Clay as well.  They range from that same slate color to brown (in my limited experience). Here are some of mine for comparison.

IMG_9416.JPG

• I found this Informative 1