Bayfront Park 2/17

Williamb55

Traveled east early Saturday morning to collect at Brownies Beach. Arrived to a bright red sunrise with a falling tide. Plenty of material was rolling around and the wind was blowing. Found a very nice crocodile tooth standing upright in the sand. Also found a sweet Peccary molar at low tide sitting on a sandbar. My friend arrived a few hours after me and scored a nice Squalodon tooth. I also found a much smaller one, but I love how it looks. As usual, at least one nice hemi was found with my biggest being 1 1/4". Had a real shamer broken one that was crazy sharp and would've broke 1 1/2". I also found a cool piece of ray bard and two pieces of fused ray plate. Eventually the crowds showed up as the day got warmer and the wind slowed down; overall it was a nice day at the beach. 

Z.jpgzzz.PNG

zzzz.PNG zzzzz - Copy.PNG

zzzzzz.PNGzzzzzzzzz.PNG

zzzzzzzzzzz.PNGzzzzzzz.PNG

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, willy said:

Just curious, what are you calling crocodile tooth and where is the smaller Squalodon tooth?

zzz.thumb.PNG.cd0914c3990b3e08550ed477ec038685.PNGCroc Toothzzzzzz.thumb.PNG.a4ab41547e031988c0b6f830cc7d1c97.PNGWorn Squalodon Tooth

Just now, willy said:

Sperm whale and dolphin/porpoise.  In my opinion.

I don't have a good picture of the other side of the croc tooth, but it is not a sperm whale tooth. At least it is nothing close to the sperm whale I found there last week. 

zz.PNG

There are several species of "sperm whale". It does look like a whale tooth to Me also.

Maybe @Boesse can shed some light on this.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice finds.  Was thinking peccary but can't tell from picture.  On second and third glance though I can see enamel goes all the way around so agree on squalodon.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

There are several species of "sperm whale". It does look like a whale tooth to Me also.

Maybe @Boesse can shed some light on this.

Thanks for your help. I thought it was originally a sperm whale tooth, but some guy told me it was a crocodile and he was leading others on a tour so I thought he probably knows more than me, but it probably is from a whale

5 minutes ago, Williamb55 said:

Thanks for your help. I thought it was originally a sperm whale tooth, but some guy told me it was a crocodile and he was leading others on a tour so I thought he probably knows more than me, but it probably is from a whale

Not sure who was leading the tour and maybe he turns out correct but when I started out hunting at Bay Front many years ago I had a "tour" guide give me several horribly wrong ID's under the same circumstances.  Ultimately I brought my finds here and had them correctly identified.  I even once ran into a college professor leading a group of college students at Matoaka try to tell me a hemi tooth was a meg tooth when I showed the group my finds.  Lot's of "experts" walking around the cliffs.  :-)

3 hours ago, Williamb55 said:

Traveled east early Saturday morning to collect at Brownies Beach. Arrived to a bright red sunrise with a falling tide. Plenty of material was rolling around and the wind was blowing. Found a very nice crocodile tooth standing upright in the sand. Also found a sweet Peccary molar at low tide sitting on a sandbar. My friend arrived a few hours after me and scored a nice Squalodon tooth. I also found a much smaller one, but I love how it looks. As usual, at least one nice hemi was found with my biggest being 1 1/4". Had a real shamer broken one that was crazy sharp and would've broke 1 1/2". I also found a cool piece of ray bard and two pieces of fused ray plate. Eventually the crowds showed up as the day got warmer and the wind slowed down; overall it was a nice day at the beach. 

Z.jpgzzz.PNG

zzzz.PNG zzzzz - Copy.PNG

zzzzzz.PNGzzzzzzzzz.PNG

zzzzzzzzzzz.PNGzzzzzzz.PNG

Those Hemis are lookin' sharp! Nice haul! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Looks like you had a nice day down here at the bay Old line hunter . Here are a couple of my recent Brownies finds this year. Crack of dawn action.

IMG_0062.jpg

Edited by Calvert Cliff Dweller

Just now, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Looks like you had a nice day down here at the bay Old line hunter . Here are a couple of my recent Brownies finds.

IMG_0062.jpgic 

WOW! Fantastic finds from the beach. I'd love to go hunting with a fellow forum member sometime. That Chub is a stunner 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah that Chub dam near gave me a heart attack. It was in matrix in one of the big slump piles in the blue clay at Brownies.

8 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Yeah that Chub dam near gave me a heart attack

Same with just the pictures! Is it slightly pathological or is it just me? The whale teeth are also super cool!

Happy hunting,

Mason