FEBRUARY FOSSIL HUNTING ... In Pennsylvania!!!!

Dpaul7

It was VERY warm for February in Pennsylvania - So, a few minutes walk from my home, I went for some fossils.  It rained once I got there, so I did NOT get to the "best" sport, but I did manage to get these and a few more!  I am wondering... What is the best way to clean them?  And any recommendations to "stabilize" them?  The slate can be a bit brittle.  Clear spray shellac-type material?  Thanks for looking!  This area has neuropteris, pecopteriss, calamites, sigillaria, lepidodendron, ginko leaves and all the other usual suspects!  Hoping for more warm days... And I think we will have them!

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7949.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

Nice finds! I am glad you were able to get out and enjoy the nice weather. My parents live in Bedford PA. Yesterday my Dad sent me a text bragging that it was 83º there. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice finds! Enjoying the weather down here as well, when I’m not doing homework/typing this:D

If those are anything like what I’ve found in Carbondale, shouldn’t need any stabilization on those, but maybe a coat of paraloid, vinac, butvar, or some other PVA could protect a thin carbon carbon film like with a fern or ginkgo. As for prepping, chipping with a tiny chisel and mallet or maybe a pine vice (would leave some unsightly lines with a pin vise though).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Dpaul7 said:

The BIG one (and it is big) has some cracks.... so I would like to stabilize those...

Oh I see what you mean. Some super glue should work, crushing some stone from the size to a powder than mixing it with the glu could fill the crack Nicely.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Cleaning: I don't know if you need to do any more than brush off any dust. If there is more dirt than simple dust, wash with water and a toothbrush if water won't cause the specimen to crumble.

If I were you I'd refrain from coating them in anything unless it's absolutely necessary. Yes I would inject some kind of glue into those cracks... Paraloid/Acryloid B-72 is good (or superglue if you don't expect to ever have to reverse the glue job).

Kind of itching to get out and do some collecting, myself, but today it snowed here!

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

And any recommendations to "stabilize" them?  The slate can be a bit brittle.  Clear spray shellac-type material?  

For flakey and sensitive leaf material I would recommend the type of fixative spray which artists use to stabilize their watercolor and pastell paintings. It works just fine for me.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/