Carboniferous Plants From France 110

docdutronc

This post is dedicated to nicholas who loves calamites plants ,the ribs are particularly well corrugated (ondulé in french ).....

post-967-1249736929_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249736975_thumb.jpg

Cord du Roi!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bruno.... Very Nice specimen.... Ive only ever seen drawings of this.... Could the rippling or corrugations be longitudinal compaction or shrinking of the cast during fossilisation?... Secondly... have you come across any leaflets at the junction of calamites, that resembles Phylotheca?... I came across a couple of specimens that could be Phylotheca and was told they are probably not, as it wasnt growing this far north.... and it was suggested that it could be rotting down calamites stem, even though the leaflets were of identical length and in perfect preservation....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

;)

Bruno.... Very Nice specimen.... Ive only ever seen drawings of this.... Could the rippling or corrugations be longitudinal compaction or shrinking of the cast during fossilisation?... Secondly... have you come across any leaflets at the junction of calamites, that resembles Phylotheca?... I came across a couple of specimens that could be Phylotheca and was told they are probably not, as it wasnt growing this far north.... and it was suggested that it could be rotting down calamites stem, even though the leaflets were of identical length and in perfect preservation....

Hi Terry ,I think you are speaking about "phyllotheca" ,look the commentary of Docteur Crookall about this kind of articulate plants ....a small correction is not Calamites ondulatus ,but undulatus small slip with the French language ,yes effectivly the rippling and longitudinal compaction may have been caused during the fossilization, one of my friends has a Calamites undulatus in 3 d, which is typical face "undulatus", the other calamites suckowii .

best regards

bruno

post-967-1249748143_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249748463_thumb.jpg

Bruno.... Thanks, I will take a photo and show you, to see what you think.... ;)

Bruno.... Heres a couple of photos of the better examples I found of what i thought were 'Phyllotheca', some were less complete that this but when you get your eye in for things, you begin to see more, which was the case in this instance, in particularily when I found out it wasnt meant to be growing there.... I think the small diameter one shows more similar characteristics to phyllothecca, as the other has a shorter leaf length, although this could just be a higher up example from the plant....

post-1630-1249901480_thumb.jpg post-1630-1249901502_thumb.jpg

I'd value your opinion...

Bruno.... Heres a couple of photos of the better examples I found of what i thought were 'Phyllotheca', some were less complete that this but when you get your eye in for things, you begin to see more, which was the case in this instance, in particularily when I found out it wasnt meant to be growing there.... I think the small diameter one shows more similar characteristics to phyllothecca, as the other has a shorter leaf length, although this could just be a higher up example from the plant....

post-1630-1249901480_thumb.jpg post-1630-1249901502_thumb.jpg

I'd value your opinion...

Hi Steve

I think simply Asterophyllites equisetiformis, these leaves are fossilized in the plan, look at the drawing of Zeiller in french we say "verticille" of leaves, in English , "crown of leaves", I do not know the exact word,These leaves can be very long are attached at the node, in the supine position....

post-967-1249926283_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249926303_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249926353_thumb.jpg

Here the diaphragm of a plant probably articulated genus Asterophyllites, its diameter is 2 centimeters, you can see the remains of leaves.....

post-967-1249927399_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... Thanks for clearing that up, looks like I have some 're labelling' to do lol.....the shale plates put the plant parts in better context than a nodular piece.... ;)

This post is dedicated to nicholas who loves calamites plants ,the ribs are particularly well corrugated (ondulé in french ).....

"Hi Terry ,I think you are speaking about "phyllotheca" ,look the commentary of Docteur Crookall about this kind of articulate plants ....a small correction is not Calamites ondulatus ,but undulatus small slip with the French language ,yes effectivly the rippling and longitudinal compaction may have been caused during the fossilization, one of my friends has a Calamites undulatus in 3 d, which is typical face "undulatus", the other calamites suckowii .

best regards "

bruno

Here is the pictures of this curious Calamites ,one face is "undulatus" the other no corrugation !

private collection Hervé Duquesne .

post-967-1250351290_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250351335_thumb.jpg