New carboniferous hunt northern France today

nala

Thanks Tidgy's Dad and Rocckin'Ric,I think Alabama is  Mississippian with many marine fossils,my level is Westphalian(the upper part of carboniferous )

IMG_4626.JPG

Although northern Alabama does have a lot of marine Mississippian, the plants come from extensive Pennsylvanian (Upper Carboniferous, including Westphalian) coal deposits.

Alabama is great for fossil hunting, overall.  So far I have collected or seen fossils from the Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Mississippian, Pennsylvanian, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, and Pleistocene.  There may also be some Miocene in the extreme south of the state.

Don

Gery, Central Alabama is mostly Pennsylvannian as Fossil Dawg states. Bama has a diversity of fossils that have been found and covers pretty much most of the geological epochs. I got to go out on a Carboniferous "fern hunt" yesterday and found some really nice preserved specimens that need washing. Hopefully I will post them soon...keep an eye out for them. I believe I found a really nice Spiropteris (furled fern frond)...I'm hoping that is what it is?

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

Magnifique! :wub:

Dis, ce n'est quand meme pas en Alsace que tu as trouve toutes ces petites beautes?

(Excuse le manque d'accents... :wacko:)

Max

Translation for non-French speakers:

Beautiful! 

Don't tell me that it's in the Alsace that you found all those little jewels.

(Sorry for the lack of accents)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Merci Max Ce sont des schistes du Pas de Calais!:)

Great Rockin' Ric! i will look after your report !

two close up of a pecopteris and neuropteris 

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5185.JPG

Wonderful material, Gery! You've got quite a selection of things to find. That Cyclopteris is really special with the attachment. What's the light colored very small speckles/spotting on the pinnules of that last Neuropteris specimen above? Is that a mineral deposit? 

Again, thanks for the photos. 

Regards, Chris 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, Rockin' Ric said:

Love those fern specimens Gery! Nice! Almost like the Alabama specimens.

I have to say you find some winner pieces yourself Ric. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Wonderful collecting spot, Gery. And it looks inexhaustible, as long as the mine keep working, no?

Gorgeous fossils!  We get similar plants in concretions here in the Mazon Creek biota in Illinois, USA.

Cheers,
Rich