Hunting

CreekCrawler

You know it just doesn't get any better than this! When you can relax listening to the leaves blowing in the wind.Staying cool by chasing the shade provided by the towering trees tossing to and fro from a Southerly breeze.

Well, you get the point!Although the heat of the day was encroaching upon us we continued on until about 1pm.We all found some nice teeth throughout the day.I personally found my biggest and best Ptychodus whipplei tooth.Which was a trip maker for me.I always pick one item that I call out as a "Trip Maker".The enclosed P.whipplei did it for me today.My biggest to date!The enamel color and preservation on this tooth is just superfine IMHO.All in all we had a great time and it was great getting to meet Daniel's better half...LOL... Thanks for the good times today y'all!I hope we can do it again soon!My buddy Jeff went along and I thank him for getting up at the wee hours of the morning to tag along.

post-417-1249797978_thumb.jpgpost-417-1249797957_thumb.jpgpost-417-1249798004_thumb.jpgpost-417-1249798034_thumb.jpg

Woohoo!! You go Barry! Man you have all the luck. I think thats the biggest Whippeli Ive seen come out of that creek. Glad you had fun out there with your friends, by the way, I love those nodules with the yellow crystals.

PS: Cierra says your such a show off :P:D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow! Looks like a trip maker to me! Man, I wish I could have gone, but I had so much to do today to get prepared for the week in Tn, I just couldn't. Glad you guys (and gal) had a great time, and I'll be along next time.

Congrats on the cool finds!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Barry, that looks like a nice tooth! I almost called ya yesterday to haul a 5 gallon bucket of gravel out of there for me ;)

Whats the dimensions on that tooth?

Great find! The photos are exceptional too!

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Barry - I wish I had been able to come. I went up Friday afternoon and decided one of the people who wanted to hunt would not be able to negotiate the banks of the creek. Do you think the heavy rain was responsible for the good hunting, or is that quality of haul normal anytime? I saw a lot of mammal bones in various stages of mineralization. Are they so plentiful that you don't mess with them? Last questions - what are those nodules? They're bueatiful, do they fluoresce under black light? Is the P in Ptychodus silent? Thanks for the invite.

Fowells, i cam amswer a few of those questions.

Ptychodus is said: Tie-co-tis

-teeth are plentiful no matter what. A rain helps for surface searching, but sifting will produce them everytime

- mammal bones, i have only ever found one, a fossil rabbit jaw. I have seen larger pieces of bone, that i thought were modern cow bones, but I could be wrong.

- the nodules are septerian nodules (hope i spelled it right). They have some pretty cool crystals in them. I have found them with ammonites in them at other locations. I have never put them to a black light, but woukld be awesome if they did glow!

... Do you think the heavy rain was responsible for the good hunting, or is that quality of haul normal anytime? I saw a lot of mammal bones in various stages of mineralization. Are they so plentiful that you don't mess with them? Last questions - what are those nodules? They're bueatiful, do they fluoresce under black light? Is the P in Ptychodus silent? Thanks for the invite.

A good heavy rain always exposes new material,wherever you hunt rivers/creeks and upland areas too.

Actually we really didn't find that many whole teeth on this trip.I think BFG cleaned the place out :D

There are lots of mammal bones down in POC.Most of them are unidentifiable,so I just pass them by.

The nodules are called Septarian Concretions or nodules.These concretions contain angular cavities or cracks,which are called septaria.At POC these concretions usually contain calcite.Some of them can be quite stunning when cracked open. Yes the "P" in Ptychodus is silent.

post-417-1249830904_thumb.jpg

. I think thats the biggest Whippeli Ive seen come out of that creek.

A member on here Shadyw has one that's enormous and has incredible color.

I didn't get to see it first hand,but I remember seeing a picture of it and it's huge by any standards.

Maybe Daniel will post another picture of it.

Nice finds. As far as bones go, I did find a big chunk of what I believe is a mammoth tusk this past weekend. I usually don’t mess with them because there are so much modern bones mixed in. But this was too big to be modern. I will post it soon.

Amateur Nature Photographer / Fossil Hunter

www.naturesstage.com

Kevin Knight

great job Barry! I got one about that size from there too.....It was a trip maker for me as well.

great job Barry! I got one about that size from there too.....It was a trip maker for me as well.

Hey Jimmy, come on out sometime and collect with us.I sure had fun when we were all down in POC.

I know it's hot,but it beats sitting round the casa. Which I do plenty of already :D

I'm off to POC again this evening with Oh-Man and will be there Thursday with Racevw,Makoken, and who knows who else.Good to hear from ya!

A good heavy rain always exposes new material,wherever you hunt rivers/creeks and upland areas too.

Actually we really didn't find that many whole teeth on this trip.I think BFG cleaned the place out :D

There are lots of mammal bones down in POC.Most of them are unidentifiable,so I just pass them by.

The nodules are called Septarian Concretions or nodules.These concretions contain angular cavities or cracks,which are called septaria.At POC these concretions usually contain calcite.Some of them can be quite stunning when cracked open. Yes the "P" in Ptychodus is silent.

post-417-1249830904_thumb.jpg

Oh no you didn't!! :o I knew you were gonna say that! :P

That's it, I challenge you to a fossil hunting show down, the place will be POC (just so I can show you i didn't clean the place out :rolleyes: ) The time will have to be determined later, sometime after the 18th. Just you and me and our old eyes to guide us. Whoever finds the most teeth wins.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Oh no you didn't!! :o I knew you were gonna say that! :P

That's it, I challenge you to a fossil hunting show down, the place will be POC (just so I can show you i didn't clean the place out :rolleyes: ) The time will have to be determined later, sometime after the 18th. Just you and me and our old eyes to guide us. Whoever finds the most teeth wins.

I'll stop this right now and concede the victory to you.Your eyes are just too good and I don't want to get spanked by a chickie in a public showdown!!!!!!That would be just wrong :D:P I'll go though, just to view your incredible finds.

Want an apple...LOL...

BFG, i'll take that challenge!!!

I'll stick up for Barry, he is getting old, and the eyes arent what the use to be... ;)

I got me a set of lookers, and im pretty good at spotin the teef in the gravel.

BUT, your girl cant help you, cause i'll loose real bad then....

There would have to be a point system for whole teeth, of size, and ptychodus.

I'll stop this right now and concede the victory to you.Your eyes are just too good and I don't want to get spanked by a chickie in a public showdown!!!!!!That would be just wrong :D:P I'll go though, just to view your incredible finds.

Want an apple...LOL...

Whew, glad to here you came to your senses!! I was scared you'd accept and then Id get my butt spanked by you. I'm glad we have a healthy respect and fear of each others ability!!

Alfred North Whithead

BFG, i'll take that challenge!!!

I'll stick up for Barry, he is getting old, and the eyes arent what the use to be... ;)

I got me a set of lookers, and im pretty good at spotin the teef in the gravel.

BUT, your girl cant help you, cause i'll loose real bad then....

There would have to be a point system for whole teeth, of size, and ptychodus.

NO! NO! NO! :o Your what still in your twenties, I dont even think so!! My eyes aren't what they used to be either and without my glasses Im pretty much pooched :unsure: .

No, me and Barry have come to an understanding of each others abilities :rolleyes: and I forgive him for saying I cleaned out Post Oak creek <_< .

Alfred North Whithead

I have seen pics of those teeth but I have never found any and they are really cool. Are they common in your area?

The best days are spent collecting fossils

I have seen pics of those teeth but I have never found any and they are really cool. Are they common in your area?

It depends on the species of ptychodus I think. I have only ever found Mortonis here in my county but an hour away can find whippeli's and I think we have maybe a mammilarus or two in our collection. There are I think, 9 different species of Ptychodus and just like normal shark teeth some are very rare and some are fairly common.

Alfred North Whithead

I know they can be found here in NC or a type of them but I have not seen any in our friends collection either. If you want to trade some of the common ones for fossils here let me know.

The best days are spent collecting fossils