My self prepped Ammonite

indominus rex

I have recently been preparing one of my ammonites in my collection that I have had for a while. I am quite happy with what I managed so far. And also if anyone can help with the ID that would be great because I have no information on it.

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I don't know how it will look when I am done but it is probably one of the best Ammonites I have in my collection.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Good work so far! :)

Looks like a Lower Jurassic Amaltheus sp to me. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good work so far! :)

Looks like a Lower Jurassic Amaltheus sp to me. 

Thanks, but could it be a Pleuroceras spinatum? Kind of looks like one.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Thanks, but could it be a Pleuroceras spinatum?

Maybe, but Pleuroceras usually has tubercles and a more square cross section. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maybe, but Pleuroceras usually has tubercles and a more square cross section. 

I guess you are right(you probably know this because you probably swam with them):ammonite01:. Maybe we can confirm it when I have completely prepared it:D

4 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

I guess you are right(you probably know this because you probably swam with them):ammonite01:. Maybe we can confirm it when I have completely prepared it:D

Indeed. 

I'm not that old! :angry:

And I can't swim! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

That is really good prep work do you mind me asking what set-up you are using and is this your first time?

I hate to say this, but this is not an Amaltheus, but rather a species of Pleuroceras, perhaps P. apyrenum. If you look closely, it does have faint tubercules on the inner whorls. Not all samples have pronounced ones. Amaltheus has a very distinct braided keel and a more narrow cross section than this one. This sample could very well come from Buttenheim in Bavaria.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Hey, only I'm allowed to make fun of Adams age!

Besides I know for a fact he wasnt born till the Oligocene.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Well done, it seems likely you were right, though my eyes still can't make out the tubercles. (or maybe they can a bit, now) 

That's cos I'm so ancient. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I agree with Roger, (Ludwigia) that it is a Pleuroceras. I visited Buttenheim last May and that looks exactly like the specimens I found. Even the matrix matches perfectly. I took a thin chisel and hammer to the concretion and the ammonite popped out whole. However, I can appreciate that you may desire a slower more cautious approach.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Besides I know for a fact he wasnt born till the Oligocene.

Yet you still over estimate his age, the first evidence for him is in the miocene according to Wikipedia.

Nice Ammo @indominus rex, good luck with it!

9E6EC1F4-0E8D-49A3-BC71-5666FE91ED05.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yet you still over estimate his age, the first evidence for him is in the miocene according to Wikipedia.

Nice Ammo @indominus rex, good luck with it!

9E6EC1F4-0E8D-49A3-BC71-5666FE91ED05.jpeg

I remember Sahelanthropus very well, so either the date for Tidgysdadpithicus adamensis or Sahelanthropus needs revising. 

As far as i recall Sahelanthropus just had a bad back that day having been bending down to pick lettuce and feed the tortoises. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

10 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I remember Sahelanthropus very well, so either the date for Tidgysdadpithicus adamensis or Sahelanthropus needs revising. 

As far as i recall Sahelanthropus just had a bad back that day having been bending down to pick lettuce and feed the tortoises. 

Science publishes new study: “According to contemporaries, Toumaï suffered from tortoise-feeding caused arthritis”. Can’t wait for the Nat Geo article!:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason