3d Lepidodendron Branch Fragment

RomanK

Almost looks like a tenderloin ready for the grill!

Are there many 3-D casts at that tip?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RomanK...... Very Nice specimen Well done.... How long as that material been left exposed since it was mined to oxidise ? Sometimes we see red shale in our area (not quite as vivid) that has been heated and turned from grey to red by the coal underneath combusting.... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Almost looks like a tenderloin ready for the grill!

Are there many 3-D casts at that tip?

Agree with 'beef' interpretation. I've found only one. It was an old tip, partly removed to the other place. A lot of really big pieces of dead rock but almost nothing fossilised.

RomanK...... Very Nice specimen Well done.... How long as that material been left exposed since it was mined to oxidise ? Sometimes we see red shale in our area (not quite as vivid) that has been heated and turned from grey to red by the coal underneath combusting.... ;)

60-70 years, I think. Red colour is because the dead rock contained the Sulfur reacting with Oxigen on the land surface.

Hi Romank

color is surprising in France on the heaps of the north region I do not see often also colored red, beautiful part of Lepidodendron, Congratulations on your find....

bruno

Hi Romank

color is surprising in France on the heaps of the north region I do not see often also colored red, beautiful part of Lepidodendron, Congratulations on your find....

bruno

Thanks, Bruno, that was an old partly removed tip. Unfortunately I found only one specimen there.