Casperson Beach, Venice Dive

Pool Man

Hello all!

We had a good day diving today. The gulf was flat and the vis was about 10 ft or so. Found a nice sample of land mammal fossils. Also got a big kick out of giving a young boy a 1" mako we found. He was with his family from Gainsville,and they came down after seeing Venice on a shark week show. It turns out they live near hog town creek, so I have a feeling you north florida guys will have another local hunting buddy. My buddy bought an underwater digital camera, and it worked great till the batteries died. So some scenery pics but no fossil shots this time. Enjoy!

Horse.

post-148-1249871178_thumb.jpg post-148-1249871184_thumb.jpg post-148-1249871236_thumb.jpg post-148-1249871242_thumb.jpg

Antler.

post-148-1249871337_thumb.jpg

Mastodon and Mammoth tooth frags

post-148-1249871266_thumb.jpg post-148-1249871191_thumb.jpg

Cont...

awesome finds, and underwater shots poolman. thanks for sharing. how deep is it where you were diving? p.s. that flounder looks real tasty...did you stick him?

very cool! i tried to snorkel there once. the gulf wasn't flat. it won. left and went to the peace river. :)

Its 20ft at the deepest there. It will get down to 30ft a mile or so off shore. This dive was 200yds off shore.

No sticking of fish yet, I cant get around the though of "baiting" myself with my catch.

Dan

Great finds. It must be great to have vis like that on a fossil dive. I remember talking to you at the Shark Tooth Festival. Were you diving off the beach or from a charter?

I am planning a trip to that area the end of September. Are the conditions usually pretty good that time of year? I know it changes from day to day but I know that you have good and bad times of the year.

Again, great finds.

Thx everyone! This was right off the beach. The Vis vairies daily. Late september should be good,since most of the stuff in the water is from storm water runoff.The water is very warm right now(88F) so cooler water helps clear the place up a bit. And it does seem that the incoming tide-high tide time is the best.

Really nice horse teeth you found. Darn I gotta get back to diving. I have all the gear even the tank! I do need to get my tank checked. Hey I wonder if anyone can help me I misplaced my PADDI card would anyone know how I could get another one?

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Thx everyone! This was right off the beach. The Vis vairies daily. Late september should be good,since most of the stuff in the water is from storm water runoff.The water is very warm right now(88F) so cooler water helps clear the place up a bit. And it does seem that the incoming tide-high tide time is the best.

Thanks for the info.

BE