My Nautiloid Fossil

amyboone

This is what got me interested in fossils and wanting to learn more. I stumbled across it (literally, walking down to the creek to yell at the kids to hurry up :rolleyes: ) and got as much of it as I could. I actually found it about a year ago. I found it near Georgetown, TX.

gallery_2067_527_42291.jpg

gallery_2067_527_7143.jpg

I like it! Quite a lot :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Amy..... Nice find, nautilus are one of my favourates to....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

is that a nataloid, or a chiton with a couple of sections missing? What does the underside look like? Is there a siphuncle?

regardless - a very cool find.

is that a nataloid, or a chiton with a couple of sections missing? What does the underside look like? Is there a siphuncle?

regardless - a very cool find.

I emailed pictures to a couple of college paleontology departments and was told it was a nautiloid, Eutrephoceras. I knew absolutely nothing about it and all I could figure was maybe it was some kind of snail. There is a siphuncle mark. I have other pictures but not where I can easily find them, and I have the fossil packed away at the moment.

Oh, and that is just the top section, you can not tell size at all from the pictures, but it is pretty big. Each little section is about as big as my hand.

Nice Nautiloid section!!!!Now where is that creek :D

The part I go to is all on private property.

But from what I have read online the San Gabriel river is a good place to look for fossils, around Georgetown, TX.

Some place that really looks interesting, if you google map Bullion Hollow Farms 78626, that looks like a place I would like to explore, in that area.

Amy nice find but you need to tell me were the creek is with a map so I can give you a good ID

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Yeah, I cant tell you where the creek is. ;) If it was not on private property I would not mind.

Also, I guess I should say this is a cast of the inside of the nautiloid.

Just kidding with you. But keep your eyes open for arrow heads around Georgetown. I knew a guy who had one of the best collections I ever saw, all found within 25 miles of Georgetown

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Just kidding with you. But keep your eyes open for arrow heads around Georgetown. I knew a guy who had one of the best collections I ever saw, all found within 25 miles of Georgetown

I have actually found a lot of partials along the creek, so many that I do not even pick them up. No whole ones though yet, but I do not really look for them. The partials are usually all in the same areas and up on the flat parts of the shale above the creek banks, in good places to make campfires, so I guess that is where they sat and made them and these are all the discards?