Good Day For The River Vis (shark Tooth Collecting)

fossilselachian

It must have been a great day for the river viz when these two posterior megs were collected from a northern Georgia river. I obtained them from the diver just after they were collected.

post-294-1249937712_thumb.jpg

Good Lord, The root is bigger than the blade!!! Pretty neat teeth. I have a few tiny megs like that. Its almost hard to call them megs, since they are so small....

very cool!!!! alot of those small posteriors dont get the attention they should. Lots of collector seek those out specifically. two nice examples you have there. talk about being way in the corners of the mouth! cool. nice serrations on those puppies!

I'm addicted to Megalodon teeth! Help me obtain more please.

Yes, there are fewer of them in the mouth of a shark then the 4"+ teeth we always drool over. :drool::rolleyes: Did I mention I love posterior teeth. :wub: I love the big ones too though :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Yes, there are fewer of them in the mouth of a shark then the 4"+ teeth we always drool over. :drool::rolleyes: Did I mention I love posterior teeth. :wub: I love the big ones too though :D

here are my 2 posteriors

The darker one was the first meg I found that was even close to complete.

post-462-1250986870_thumb.jpg

One of the few teeth where the root is larger than the tooth.

I think they're cool!

Welcome to the forum!

Nice posteriors.

The one on the right almost likes a Galeocerdo

Jeroen

Yes it is reminiscent of a Galeocerdo, especially since it is much thinner than my other posterior, but the main reason why is because it is chipped at the edge, making it look more hooked than it is.

But it doesn't take too close of a look to rule that out, since it has such a well defined bourrelet, and the serations run all the way to the tip. Interestingly, the serrations are incredibly defined, and almost conal in shape.

Northern Georgia????That's Blue Ridge Mountains/piedmont territory, except in the extreme West where it's Paleozoic. Never heard of shark teeth from North of the Fall Line (around Macon).

Don

very cool!!!! alot of those small posteriors dont get the attention they should. Lots of collector seek those out specifically. two nice examples you have there. talk about being way in the corners of the mouth! cool. nice serrations on those puppies!

With a few collectors having 6 3/4" to 7+" megalodon, a friend and I started wondering who has the smallest megalodon - presumably a posterior from a young-baby individual. He said he had one around 3/4" wide. I have one from Scotts Valley (Late Miocene, Lower Santa Margarita Formation) at 5/8". Another friend claimed he had one slightly smaller than that.

Northern Georgia????That's Blue Ridge Mountains/piedmont territory, except in the extreme West where it's Paleozoic. Never heard of shark teeth from North of the Fall Line (around Macon).

Don

Don:

You are correct!! The teeth are not from northern GA but from the lower eastern edge of GA in the general Savannah area. Every time I travel from SC into GA along I-95, I tend to think I'm entering "northern" GA. Please pardon my gross misstatement. Thanks for the correction. :faint:

FS