Possible prints

Malone

7 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

What are the properties of this material (first 2 photos)? Does it seem like it would erode easily?

Limestone 

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

It would have to be an acidic environment or have a steady stream of water running at somewhat regular flow volume. These are the only conditions that I can think of currently.

2 minutes ago, Malone said:

10 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

It looks a bit like travertine.

Could be, it's just what I always called limestone most of life cause the creeks or drainage where it is, there is white lime stuff that fluctuates with moisture content, and when handling it has similar effects to when I've handled concrete.I don't know what the white stuff is. I assume it's an oxide of sorts. There is such a diverse geological strata in the surrounding and including Pueblo. the Pueblo lake is the geological stratotype Cretaceous boundary for North America ( possibly the world. Can't remember.memory problems) I look at the layers there and they looked pretty similar to me. They don't allow digging or taking rocks for the preservation of the area. The travertine I've handled or seen has been polished travertine floor tiles.

The reason I thought travertine is because of the hot springs in your area. 

3 minutes ago, Malone said:

I don't know what the white stuff is. I assume it's an oxide of sorts.

Is the white like a coating or throughout this chunk?

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I believe you are correct but I just haven't seen near the wide variety or even had the time to study. It's a great luxury to have so much information available yet very humbling to realize how much I will never know. The white is a thin covering almost like someone sprinkled powdered sugar along the sides of the creek.

46 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

The reason I thought travertine is because of the hot springs in your area. 

Is the white like a coating or throughout this chunk?

The hot springs are in salida and Colorado Springs but it's possible they were hauled in from the springs. There could be old springs that dried up. I'll take some better pictures in a bit. It's really a nice color and texture. A deep grey/blue. Kinda pastel or like some old southwestern pottery.

I went looking for that rock with the this two somewhat parallel marks and couldn't find it. I will try again tomorrow. There's acres and acres. This is a picture of the white I was texting about earlier.

IMG_3950.JPG

39 minutes ago, Malone said:

This is a picture of the white I was texting about earlier.

Looks like quicklime (decomposed limestone).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

50 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like quicklime (decomposed limestone).

That's what I thought but I didn't know for sure. It eats your skin just like concrete, or actually the lime in concrete. Guys get lime poisoning from not wearing rubber boots when laying concrete.