Scotia Bone in Concretion

RJB

Just ran into this in a little plastic bag.    Still has the paper I wrote on that says I found it in April of 2000 at scotia at what we locals use to call 'The Bowl.    Not sure what it is but if its important I will let Bobby Boesinecker know and see if he wants it or not.  Still got to prep it out though. Im thinking peniped, but what do I know?

RB

DSCN1534.JPG

DSCN1535.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

A bone in a concretion? How rare is that?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

18 minutes ago, Auspex said:

A bone in a concretion? How rare is that?

Hey Auspex ole pal.  Not rare at all.  The bone may be rare, but I wont know till I prep it. 

RB

1 hour ago, ynot said:

:popcorn:

May I join you?:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

May I join you?:popcorn:

Scoot over and make some room for me too. I want some :popcorn::popcorn:

If Ron thinks it’s worth prepping it ought to be interesting or at the very least an education.

A peniped (penniped) as in a seal or close relative bone? Is that a common type of bone or fossil found there? I can’t say that I have ever seen a seal or walrus fossil. 

6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

A peniped (penniped) as in a seal or close relative bone? Is that a common type of bone or fossil found there? I can’t say that I have ever seen a seal or walrus fossil.

Sorry bout my spelling.  never passed highschool cause of it.  Anyways, Yes, penniped as in seal of some kind and no, not common at all.  i use to hunt scotia 40 to 60 times a year and was about the only guy who found bone at Scotia but the locals went there to find the big Pectens.  Those are considered the koo-dee-graw for that place.  and hows that for spelling? :)  Here is a picture of the pectens everyone was after.

RB

Pecten001.JPG

Ok, worked on this most of the day.  Had an idea that it might be a tuff prep job, but holy cow!  Tuffer than i had anticipated.  Very very sticky this one.  But now I can see thats its a complete bone.  Only a guess, but im thinking some kind of arm bone of penniped?  Gots a long ways to go though. 

RB

Scotiabone001C.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

@Boesse

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Nice Ron!

Thanks John, but now that ive talked with  Bobby, its just a bone in a concretion.  Cool, but not important.  Just the way it goes. 

RB

13 hours ago, RJB said:

Thanks John, but now that ive talked with  Bobby, its just a bone in a concretion.  Cool, but not important.  Just the way it goes. 

RB

Importance is subjective for sure. Does it singularly add to the knowledge of the fossil record for the greater scientific community? Possibly not. Does it add to the knowledge of the fossil record for TFF or anyone collecting the site? It certainly does.

Sounds pretty important to me.

Keep it up sir; you are providing a great service to this community. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: