Heading To Elkins Wv

kirk

Heading up to visit my folks this weekend. Anyone on here do any hunting around there? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

Kirk

Thanks, I need to pick up a copy of that book sometime. Do not have time to order it before I head up though. Most of my fossil collecting consists of hunting the local quarries and beaches for marine fossils.

Kirk,

Look at my posts, there is one recently (09) on a new road cut on HWY 66 that will be near you. There are fossils everywhere! I poked through a pile of chert from Frost, WV and found a trilobite tail! Near snowhoe (Cass, wv) there is a "back mountain rd" my brother in laws' sister in law (whew) found brittle stars! There are two locations in Pocahontas county listed in Jasper Burns book-"Fossil Hunting in the mid atlantic states". I have been to both

#37. Along scenic rte 150 northwest of Marlinton post-218-1250463560_thumb.jpg Here is an old picture. The soft coal is full of plant impressions and the other rocks also. Check the pile of broken Shale(?) I found a really nice fossil seed pod but misplaced it when the boys yelled snake! Also at the base of the hill we found some really nice pyrite nodules on matrix, ( well nice to us). Be prepared to climb ( look I'm 49 and I climbed up)but best to have a partner as the hill can very unexpectedly give way.

#35 Locust Creek, near Hillsboro. The creek is easy to reach, flat and no deeper than mid thigh ( I am 5'2)no strong current.The water was crystal clear when I went,

just gentle swirl the silt off the rocks and look for glints of grey blue. I found 4 or 5 pieces of blue chalcedony like fossilized coral. I left quickly as the people crossing the bridge stared hard at me.

Have fun and let us know what you find!

Best regards,

Fosceal

Kirk, I went and looked at my old post ( go to members, fosceal, post) pictures but no directions. OK so google Cass, WV Cass is on hwy 66, called back mtn rd at one part and cass rd on another.Leave Cass heading toward HWY 92/28.Before you get to 92/28 you will see the road cut. The fossils are weathering right out!There is easy parking and good places to walk! Hope this helps!

Fosceal