Bending Time

brachiomyback

After a 1.5 hour trek with my two daughters, we finally made it to our destination, the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, NC. The protective cocoon of my Yaris abruptly came to a halt after I opened the car door. The blast of heat felt like I just opened an oven door.

We geared up and I put my back pack in the stroller and hung the strap of a small cooler stuffed with frozen bottles of water over the stroller handle. As we entered the building I noticed a sign, “No coolers allowed.” Civil disobedience was in order based on the temperature outside. It was only 12:00 p.m. and it was already overwhelming. The stifling heat from just the 200 foot walk to the main building was pretty intense. I thought to myself, this could get ugly as the day progressed… have to keep the girls extra hydrated.

After touring the various offerings in the air conditioned buildings, it was time to go to the display that my daughters wanted to see…. the new dinosaur trail addition. The temperatures were reaching close to the triple digits and a frozen bottle of water left in the stroller cup colder quickly became reconstituted into a cool drink in no time. We did a quick tour of the other outdoor features and soon realized that the animals were also feeling the heat. A bear looked like he took a tranquiller in the jugular as he stood there in the small man made creek panting and trying to cool down. Signage stated not to feed the bears. Food I thought, someone needs to throw that poor beast some hair trimmers. The wolf too looked stroked out as he lay motionless on a boulder situated on the shady side of a hillside.

The heat was started to do me in as we finally made it to the dinosaur trial opening. The first dinosaur we encountered was a Parasaurolophus. To my astonishment, it let my oldest daughter climb up on it and then it asked her she wanted a ride back through time. I told her it was just like riding a horse bare back expect you have to get your finger under some scales because it doesn’t have a mane you can hold onto. My youngest wanted to ride too, but I told her a 2 year old was too young to ride on a dinosaur. Some people next to me gave me a strange look. Something didn’t seem quite right. Was it the heat? (as I cracked open another water bottle).

post-986-1250052816_thumb.jpg

As we made it up the trail it eventually happened. She fell off the Parasaurolophus and into some undergrowth. Then out of nowhere an Alamosaurus appeared before me as I lifted my head in horror. I told my daughters not to move, especially my oldest who was just by the foot of the beast hidden in the underbrush. She made a sudden scream which got his attention. He slowly turned his head and menacing teeth down towards her.

post-986-1250052883_thumb.jpg

Just as I was about to sacrifice myself as a Homo sapiens snack, an Edmontonia came to the rescue. His massive shoulder spikes intimidated the Alamosaurus into a hasty retreat. After consoling my two daughters, and with the assurance from the Edmontonia, I told them we were not going to encounter any more scary dinosaurs on the rest of the journey.

post-986-1250052919_thumb.jpg

And with that, the Edmontonia went off his way and soon after an Albertosaurus poked his long neck from the woods to investigate all the commotion he heard. This magnificent beast made all our jaws drop especially my youngest that was animate on calling it a Supersaurus. He was just a gentle giant doing a slumberous stroll through the woods. I quickly told the girls to get next to him for a perspective picture to show mom.

post-986-1250052956_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250052969_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250052978_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250052993_thumb.jpg

I then noticed my girls talking to some primitive Homo sapiens with my oldest stating that, “Yes, my dad is OK, I don’t think he is having a diabetic attack…. it must be the heat.” I requested them to come over quickly and see two more dinosaurs near by. The Stygimolochs were circling each other. It appeared they were sizing each other up and ready to butt heads like bighorn rams. It appeared that my height in conjunction with my Carolina Blue T-shirt attracted their attention and they wanted me to join in the rumble. Luckily I saw a turtle carapace and with MacGyver like speed and skill I fashioned some proximate reeds into a chin strap. I then for some reason told my girls an old Wisconsin saying…. or was that an old Texas saying, “Hold my beer and watch this”.

post-986-1250053036_thumb.jpg

After a couple of head butts my brain definitely wasn’t right, not that is ever was. Especially after a Styracosaurus heard the numerous head concussions echo throughout the woods. He put his head down and wanted a go at me. The Stygimolochs quickly left the scene. I took off my “helmet” and forfeited the match.

post-986-1250053068_thumb.jpg

As I peered through some equisetum, I noticed something spying on us. I realized they were some Troodons were looking for a fight. Those claws meant business; however I knew had the upper hand with my stature and brain size. Well that is what I thought as my daughter informed me that the “helmet” I wore was actually an empty KFC ten piece bucket. Admiring their plumage and with quick wit, I informed the Troodons if they ever heard of the Colonel Sanders’s originals recipe (as I licked my lips). They both looked at each other and ran off like two extinct chickens with there heads cut off.

post-986-1250053101_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250053110_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250053119_thumb.jpg

We finally made it to the Fossil Dig pit. I found out though higher sources that it contains a three foot depth / two train loads of Pungo spoils from the Aurora PCS Mine. We found the usually suspects with my oldest daughter her proudest find… a large fish vert. I finally found my first ever dolphin tooth and a crab claw partial in addition to a shark vert in most excellent condition. The heat was too much and with a fair assortment of finds in a small amount of time, we called it a day.

post-986-1250053160_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250053170_thumb.jpg

We stopped by McDonalds to get a couple of Happy Meals and some food before arriving home. Once home the severe nausea kicked in. I tried to fight the nausea but eventually I had to talk to Ralph on the big white phone. I felt much better after that. And shortly after said deed, I polished off (to my wife’s amazement) a large fry along with three Big Macs and a couple of sugar-free Popsicles. My wife was worried about me, but I told her I must have been having some sympathy morning sickness. I got the girls back safe and sound but the trip took a number on me, specifically a mild case of heat exhaustion.

enjoy...

- Brad

post-986-1250053211_thumb.jpg

post-986-1250053219_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Great report! I saw the KFC bucket, and thought to myself... hummm, I wonder if he bends some mean strings. </buckethead reference>

:faint: that was a great trip report i loved it thanks for sharing it with us :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

i came saw drooled and collected

yeah - i think your issue is that your wiring harness looks like an aftermarket job done by a guy with those big ole coke-bottle glasses. but then again, it seems like he may have been a not-so-evil genius.

that saying you referenced is from texas, but you left out a word. i actually saw that recently in huge, hand-applied-not-very-carefully letters on the back window of a pickup truck in liberty, texas.

don't think the concept of partyin' til you puke normally involves pungo formation.

that saying you referenced is from texas, but you left out a word. i actually saw that recently in huge, hand-applied-not-very-carefully letters on the back window of a pickup truck in liberty, texas.

Speaking of that reminds me of a fellow I went to high school with. He had an old light green pickup that he was planning on painting some day. He had sprayed red primer in several spots. He thought it would be cool to spray the brand name of the truck in big letters on the side, so he did:

F R O D

My understanding is that he now lives in prison...

Guest solius symbiosus
yeah - i think your issue is that your wiring harness looks like an aftermarket job done by a guy with those big ole coke-bottle glasses.

Admit it, your just a "Bubbles" geek?

Yeah, ok, he does rock.

My day is made!

Great story :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well done, Brad; well done.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ