Greensands Medford Nj

mross

Does anyone know where the Greensands in Medford, NJ is? What is the hunting there like? I live in NJ and I have no idea where it is

Thanks

there havent been any greensands in medford that you could actually find fossils in since the turn of the century. all the marlpits have been filled in for years now. ive looked in every creekbed in the whole area, and havent found much. years ago when i was a kid, they were building turtle run apartments. my mom and i found a bunch of pet wood, and a few arrowheads there. your only option at this point, is to check construction sites in the area, and see if they've dug deep enough to hit the greenmarl. you'll be able to tell from a distance by the color. let me know if you find any.

I'd be interested, too.

There's some greensand in Haddonfield near the Hadrosaur site on Maple Ave. I've only poked around a few times in there but have never found anything (besides lots of broken glass). Most of the houses along that ravine were built before 1920. According to a website I saw, some folks in recent years found a few fossils (not in great shape though). Even though it's so close to me, I'd rather spend my time driving up to Monmouth area where one is pretty much guaranteed to find something decent!

Guest Smilodon
there havent been any greensands in medford that you could actually find fossils in since the turn of the century. all the marlpits have been filled in for years now. ive looked in every creekbed in the whole area, and havent found much. years ago when i was a kid, they were building turtle run apartments. my mom and i found a bunch of pet wood, and a few arrowheads there. your only option at this point, is to check construction sites in the area, and see if they've dug deep enough to hit the greenmarl. you'll be able to tell from a distance by the color. let me know if you find any.

I second that but would add club or organization tours into Inversand.

I second that but would add club or organization tours into Inversand.

inversand is a bit overated i think. at least for the casual collector anyway. ive been there at least 30 times, and the most ive ever found was a few croc scutes, and a vert or two. i was there a few weeks ago in fact. i didnt find more than a few rootless otodus blades, and some bivalve steinkerns. there are other streambeds in southwest jersey that produce better.

Guest Smilodon
inversand is a bit overated i think. at least for the casual collector anyway. ive been there at least 30 times, and the most ive ever found was a few croc scutes, and a vert or two. i was there a few weeks ago in fact. i didnt find more than a few rootless otodus blades, and some bivalve steinkerns. there are other streambeds in southwest jersey that produce better.

True, but I took the the question to be about greensand sites and not productivity per se. I've never found anything good there either, but occasionally what has been found by others has been spectacular. Very spotty though.

True, but I took the the question to be about greensand sites and not productivity per se. I've never found anything good there either, but occasionally what has been found by others has been spectacular. Very spotty though.

oh sorry...i guess i strayed from the jist of the question. i personally dont know of any other greensand sites that are left in nj. just creekbeds. i remember back in the 70's they were doing roadwork on rt 70 in medford, and they exposed a whole area of greenmarl on the south side of the road. i walked about a quarter mile of it looking for fossils, but i didnt find anything. have you ever been to the state cretaceous pit in ellisdale? they found cretaceous mammal fossils there.

Guest Smilodon
oh sorry...i guess i strayed from the jist of the question. i personally dont know of any other greensand sites that are left in nj. just creekbeds. i remember back in the 70's they were doing roadwork on rt 70 in medford, and they exposed a whole area of greenmarl on the south side of the road. i walked about a quarter mile of it looking for fossils, but i didnt find anything. have you ever been to the state cretaceous pit in ellisdale? they found cretaceous mammal fossils there.

It's informally called the Bobs site because two guys named Bob found it. I interviewed on of the Bobs for an article years ago and he indicated to me that it is impossible to find if you don't know what you are looking for. He wouldn't tell me what to look for :angry:

Last I heard was a few years ago, but it was quite the site. There never had been a cretaceous site with ton's of mini and micro stuff in the East to compare to equivalent sites in the West. My sense was it's worked off and on as the Bobs have moved away. But I don't know that for a fact.

Guest Smilodon

My in-laws used to live on Mullica Hill From time to time I would find some exogyra and other shells in the woods behind thier place. One year a new little strip shopping center was being dug and then put up right at the intersection of the main drag and the road out to the Delaware river. The hole and the spoils were sooooo green. I waited a few weeks until the excavating had stopped, and then hit the site hard on a couple of Sundays when no one would be around. It was going to be my own personal honeyhole. Guess what I found - NOTHING. Not even leaverite - just green sand. So disappointing. Haven't been back in 10-12 years but I know there has been lots of construction over the years

My in-laws used to live on Mullica Hill From time to time I would find some exogyra and other shells in the woods behind thier place. One year a new little strip shopping center was being dug and then put up right at the intersection of the main drag and the road out to the Delaware river. The hole and the spoils were sooooo green. I waited a few weeks until the excavating had stopped, and then hit the site hard on a couple of Sundays when no one would be around. It was going to be my own personal honeyhole. Guess what I found - NOTHING. Not even leaverite - just green sand. So disappointing. Haven't been back in 10-12 years but I know there has been lots of construction over the years

thats pretty funny about the "bob" site. some people are so uptight! im pretty sure i know where it is although it's on private property. if you ever get up this way, i'll show you where it is. yes, mullica hill is one of the places in my stomping grounds. ive found a bunch of shells, and teeth there as well as some bones in a few of the tributaries not too far from there. i have a few other creeks in that general area that ive found some stuff as well. nothing too spectacular...some ceph frags, and teeth. ive heard of a site for ammonites up by bordentown that im getting ready to check out. i'll keep you posted.

I've been to Inversand pit. The museum of natural history runs a couple trips to there a year. I found a nice piece of turtle bone and a sample of vivianite. I did see a guy find a couple croc verts and a few scutes. That is some dirty fossiling. Good stuff is found there but it is spotty. I'd go back. I think the next trip in to inversand will be the fall.

I'd love to know where to find ammonites in Bordentown. Looks like there's a decent "local" group in here. Have any of you Jersey collectors been to the C&D canal in Delaware? Not the best, but some nice specimens come out of there as well. Belemnites are everywhere. Google, fossils of C&D canal. Easy access.

Guest Smilodon
I've been to Inversand pit. The museum of natural history runs a couple trips to there a year. I found a nice piece of turtle bone and a sample of vivianite. I did see a guy find a couple croc verts and a few scutes. That is some dirty fossiling. Good stuff is found there but it is spotty. I'd go back. I think the next trip in to inversand will be the fall.

I'd love to know where to find ammonites in Bordentown. Looks like there's a decent "local" group in here. Have any of you Jersey collectors been to the C&D canal in Delaware? Not the best, but some nice specimens come out of there as well. Belemnites are everywhere. Google, fossils of C&D canal. Easy access.

I live 30 minutes from there and take school and club groups from time to time. Do you know about the Creataceous petrified wood site near Odessa, Delaware? Not many people do. It's a private farm and you can go with a prearranged group. You would either have to join DVPS or the Del Min Society when they get permission to collect.

Google for the two clubs or pm me for more info.

Never heard of that location. I'm suprised, I've done a lot of searchinging about Del. fossil sites. I'll PM you for more info. Thanks. I've found some Triassic pet wood in my stomping grounds up here. In fact found an attractive specimen couple days ago. Was headed up there today but it's pouring. Thinking about making a run to Calvert soon, I have a boat that's perfect for some limited access areas there. I've done it once while fishing there. Found an area that was filthy with stuff. Had two guys with me that only let me hunt for a little bit. So this trip will be collectors only.

Thanks all. I was going over the references here from the Donald Kenney source. I did not think any of the pits as noted existed any more. Medford being Medford just about every place that can be built is. I think a pit owner would make much eaiser money selling to a developer then digging dirt. I have the lat/lons, maybe some gps work is in order.

I'm up for a trip there! I think Anthony from NJ might be as well.

I was thinking about taking a kayak down to wander around. Did it on foot and it was fine as well. Post a trip here -- you'll likely get a lot of takers!

Thanks all. I was going over the references here from the Donald Kenney source. I did not think any of the pits as noted existed any more. Medford being Medford just about every place that can be built is. I think a pit owner would make much eaiser money selling to a developer then digging dirt. I have the lat/lons, maybe some gps work is in order.

mike if you have the lats and longs, just put them into the the search window on google earth. it'll bring you right over the locations. too easy.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm up for a trip there! I think Anthony from NJ might be as well.

I was thinking about taking a kayak down to wander around. Did it on foot and it was fine as well. Post a trip here -- you'll likely get a lot of takers!

Didn't even see this thread until today. You bed I'd be interested haha. Since I'm almost certainly moving in November, I'd love to get in some good hunting before I leave.

How about 9/26? The beach fee is in place until 9/7. I'm busy the following weekend and probably the next, but am open on 9/26. Maybe we should arrange a carpool if enough NJ/PA folks want to go.

Well I hit Inversand pit last week. Looked to me that it will soon be mined out and closed. One piece of bone, not sure from what, very non-descript. One fish vert, inch and a quarter diameter, quite nice and one partial croc tooth. About a 1/2 inch long. A few bi-valve steinkerns, pretty crappy.

As far as a get together, I'd certainly be in.