Bone guy's collection

Bone guy

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

Georgia. South east u.s.a. It's not a big shell maybe 4.5" in length.

Then it's Gopherus polyphemus, a gopher tortoise and the state reptile of Georgia.

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 3 weeks later...

This little guy arrived today! I'm very happy about this one. It's my first predatory dinosaur tooth! The most liable label for this guy is abelisaurid indet. but it could potentially be Deltadromeus agilis. The serrations are all there, and it's a nice 2 centimeters in length. Woohoo! 

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

And next is a very dapper gentleman, Asaphus wheeleri. He's a little beat up but I'm happy because it's a mostly complete Asaphus! He's just shy of 1.5 inches. 

IMG_0932.JPG

Congrats on the tooth, but I think the trilobite is wonderful! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I counter that the turtle shell is actually Terrapene carolina, the familiar box turtle.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2018 at 1:14 AM, jpenn said:

I counter that the turtle shell is actually Terrapene carolina, the familiar box turtle.

Interesting. I'll have to do some research on that. 

I know I've posted this somewhere before, but I figure I'll put it in my collection thread for the heck of it. 

This is a 6 inch Protopsephurus liui, a paddlefish from the early Cretaceous of China. Specifically this is from the Yixian formation a site that yields another member of the chondricthyes: Peipiaosteus as well as many insects, smaller fish, and even the great big chicken Yutyrannus. 

Protopsephurus is significant because it is regarded as the first paddlefish to inhabit the world (hence the meaning of the name: Protopsephurus = first pebble bearer). Again, this fish is from the early Cretaceous. Another paddlefish known by the genus Crossopholis is known from the Green River formation of the Eocene, and there are species of paddlefish still alive today. 

Protopsephurus liui is a member of the chondrichthyes meaning it has a largely cartilaginous skeleton. I believe only the skull and the fins have bones and the rest of the body is cartilage. The specimen here is missing parts of the caudal fin and the dorsal fin, but overall it's very cool (this is my first big $ fossil, hopefully my last for a while :D). The skin preserved here is phenomenal because it shows the tiny sensory pores that would have helped the fish hunt. You can see the skull is well preserved. I believe the lower jaw is still there and is opened wide (the rectangular bone underneath the skull). Overall an amazing creature from a cool locality. :) 

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

On 5/30/2018 at 12:54 PM, Bone guy said:

abelisaurid indet. but it could potentially be Deltadromeus agilis

Probably closer to Rugops from Niger.  Deltadromeus is not an Abelisaurid.  Nice tooth.

Cool paddlefish like it.

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Probably closer to Rugops from Niger.  Deltadromeus is not an Abelisaurid.  Nice tooth.

Thanks. Yeah the seller sold that tooth as Deltadromeus, and I admit despite being told it was abelisaurid indet. I kinda still hoped it was Deltadromeus haha. Nowadays I'm ok with this being potentially Rugops.

i think tomorrow I will take better pictures of the tooth. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the collection has grown out of control so I had to compensate by getting a new shelf. So I figured I should go big or go home, so I came home with a huge 7 x 6 x 1.5 feet shelf. :D 

It has some shelving and drawers towards the bottom, but the top section is all glass with the exception of a wooden frame. Plus it has doors to keep the dust low and two halogen lights are built into the top to keep everything lit (I had to implement some LEDs because the specimens on the top shelf were casting a shadow). Overall it looks very good and I still have shelves to fill. :raindance:

(Apologies for the rubish photo, all I have to use in terms of a camera is my iPad)

IMG_1170.JPG

I found some interesting boxes that look just like riker mounts. They have a black frame and a white felt filling, but the only difference is they have a leg on the back that's similar to what you would see on a picture frame. I figured it would make a cool tooth display, and  I'm pretty happy with the result. 

The majority of stuff in here is Lee Creek shark teeth, and then there's a few ray teeth, a couple Chondrichthyes teeth from Morocco, top center is an indet. Abelisaurid, to the left of that is a worn trike tooth, and finally a Mosasaur tooth. 

IMG_1171.JPG

Last but not least (for now ;)) a nice modern skull from Canis lupus. In this case it's most likely a coyote. Most of the teeth are still in place except for one. 

The shop owner never even knew she had this skull, and when I showed it to her she was disgusted. So she just gave it to me :D

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

10 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

So I figured I should go big or go home, so I came home with a huge 7 x 6 x 1.5 feet shelf.

I've often wondered who buys up the display shelves when shops go out of business :)

Now I know...fossil collectors!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

1 hour ago, Bone guy said:

So the collection has grown out of control so I had to compensate by getting a new shelf. So I figured I should go big or go home, so I came home with a huge 7 x 6 x 1.5 feet shelf. :D 

Great collection and I think your cabinet has that nice Museum feel to it.  Thanks for showing us

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Nice skull congrat.  I really like to see all these growing collections from everyone. :dinothumb:

Thanks! Yeah it's fun to watch these collections grow.

57 minutes ago, Natalie81 said:

Cool stuff you got there! 

I alsi like the turtle shell

Thanks! The turtle shell was an unexpected find. It was just lying in the middle of the woods, no bones or anything :headscratch:but it is covered with tooth marks....

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, Bone guy said:

It has some shelving and drawers towards the bottom, but the top section is all glass with the exception of a wooden frame. Plus it has doors to keep the dust low and two halogen lights are built into the top to keep everything lit (I had to implement some LEDs because the specimens on the top shelf were casting a shadow). Overall it looks very good and I still have shelves to fill. :raindance:

(Apologies for the rubish photo, all I have to use in terms of a camera is my iPad)

IMG_1170.JPG

You HAVE to tell me where you got that? Or are least the name or something so I can look it up!

On 8/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, Bone guy said:

Last but not least (for now ;)) a nice modern skull from Canis lupus. In this case it's most likely a coyote. Most of the teeth are still in place except for one. 

The shop owner never even knew she had this skull, and when I showed it to her she was disgusted. So she just gave it to me :D

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

canis lupus is the name for the wolf. If it was a coyote, it would be canis latrans

On 8/17/2018 at 3:21 PM, Bone guy said:

The shop owner never even knew she had this skull, and when I showed it to her she was disgusted. So she just gave it to me :D.

Pretty good bargain, then! :)

It looks great. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.