Penn Dixie - April 27, 29, 30

Kane

I didn't take a "before" picture of this one, but it is my next project. A much smaller prone that I've revealed more of. Malcolm was kind to chop it out of the block with the saw.

IMG_4770.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Well done!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

A bug to be proudly displayed!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

A bug to be proudly displayed!

Thank you, Tim. I really owe a debt to the abundance of helpful prep tips here on TFF, and in conversation with a lot of skilled prep folks we have on here. :) 

One last prep - I promise! :D 

This one is very wee at 1.8 cm. As you can see, I could have trenched it down a bit further, but even under the scope I am a bit hesitant to dig too deeply when they are this small (and tend to be more fragile). There are some tiny bits of matrix gunk in the cracks, but I've yet to get my hands on the tiny dispensing needles that would be key to blasting those out. This little guy also lists a bit to the left, which is not something I regularly encounter from PD trilos that usually lay pretty flat in the bedding plane.

I went at the glued pieces as well, but they were too damaged to continue with. I also have some rollers free of matrix I could blast, but they generally aren't worth the effort... But I may still do so if I find myself idle at the bench. :D 

The upshot of all of this has been in getting some much-needed prep practice. Every trilobite has its unique challenges in terms of a learning experience (at least for me). PD Eldredgeops rana are ideal entry-level prep as they tend to be thicker-shelled and more forgiving. Now that I've become accustomed to prepping them, I'm no longer satisfied by leaving them in their field-fresh state as I once was. I also learned how useful an air scribe can be in this process, having done so much prior prep using a Dremel which can sometimes take an eternity.

The motto is now progress, not perfection. :) 

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

59 minutes ago, Kane said:

This one is very wee at 1.8 cm. As you can see, I could have trenched it down a bit further, but even under the scope I am a bit hesitant to dig too deeply when they are this small (and tend to be more fragile). There are some tiny bits of matrix gunk in the cracks, but I've yet to get my hands on the tiny dispensing needles that would be key to blasting those out. This little guy also lists a bit to the left, which is not something I regularly encounter from PD trilos that usually lay pretty flat in the bedding plane.

I went at the glued pieces as well, but they were too damaged to continue with. I also have some rollers free of matrix I could blast, but they generally aren't worth the effort... But I may still do so if I find myself idle at the bench. :D 

The upshot of all of this has been in getting some much-needed prep practice. Every trilobite has its unique challenges in terms of a learning experience (at least for me). PD Eldredgeops rana are ideal entry-level prep as they tend to be thicker-shelled and more forgiving. Now that I've become accustomed to prepping them, I'm no longer satisfied by leaving them in their field-fresh state as I once was. I also learned how useful an air scribe can be in this process, having done so much prior prep using a Dremel which can sometimes take an eternity.

IMG_4778.JPG

Excellent! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent! :)

Thank you, Adam. :) The missus adores these tiny ones. :D

How could I miss out on this great thread?!? Thanks for sharing all this, Kane. Fantastic finds and excellent prep! It was well worth the effort and you and Deb obviouslly had your fun as well.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

How could I miss out on this great thread?!? Thanks for sharing all this, Kane. Fantastic finds and excellent prep! It was well worth the effort and you and Deb obviouslly had your fun as well.

Thanks! :) Although we didn’t find a multi plate (the one in your album is exquisite), we made out ok. I’m hoping we’ll have a chance to dig with you, wherever that may be, in June. :)

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks! :) Although we didn’t find a multi plate (the one in your album is exquisite), we made out ok. I’m hoping we’ll have a chance to dig with you, wherever that may be, in June. :)

I'm sure we can figure something out. I'll be in touch once I'm over there. June 10-28.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, Kane said:

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

A really cute one.:trilo:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

21 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

:(

Well, just for you I might add a few more. :D 

This is lined up for work from my "B pile": 4 rollers and 2 prones. The middle top prone looks disarticulated, but it is just in a funny, scrunched up position. The prones are all on the small-ish side (~2 cm). This will have to wait until this coming week is over due to a heavy workload. :( 

IMG_4780.JPG

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Well, just for you I might add a few more. :D 

This is lined up for work from my "B pile": 4 rollers and 2 prones. The middle top prone looks disarticulated, but it is just in a funny, scrunched up position. The prones are all on the small-ish side (~2 cm). This will have to wait until this coming week is over due to a heavy workload. :( 

:popcorn: :popcorn:

(I understand and can relate about the workload :()

On 5/1/2018 at 7:02 AM, Kane said:

IMG_4734.JPG

Hi Kane!

I was just looking on and saw a greenops pygidium in the matrix on the top-right rock just above the finely preserved brach.
It is quite visible- I hope you caught that one!

9 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

Hi Kane!

I was just looking on and saw a greenops pygidium in the matrix on the top-right rock just above the finely preserved brach.

That must be why you're called FossilSniper!

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, FossilSniper said:

Hi Kane!

Yep. These rocks were filled with Greenops bits! We usually leave them if they are not complete. 

• I found this Informative 1