A Neat Display Piece

Auspex

I haven't been posting new stuff lately, because I haven't had the financial resources to acquire any. This one, however, I could not pass on. The provenance is sketchy (I came by it third-hand), but it is from France, and indications are that it is from the Quercy "fissure fills". Dating it with any confidence may not be possible; with what I have on it right now, it could be anything from Miocene to Holocene. It is, however, fully mineralized, and heavily rimed with travertine.

I have it front-and-center in my mini "museum" at the shop, and it stops people in their tracks :D

post-423-1250360449_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I haven't been posting new stuff lately, because I haven't had the financial resources to acquire any. This one, however, I could not pass on. The provenance is sketchy (I came by it third-hand), but it is from France, and indications are that it is from the Quercy "fissure fills". Dating it with any confidence may not be possible; with what I have on it right now, it could be anything from Miocene to Holocene. It is, however, fully mineralized, and heavily rimed with travertine.

I have it front-and-center in my mini "museum" at the shop, and it stops people in their tracks :D

Very nice stuff!! 'Pompeii' nest and eggs. Congratulations.

Roman

I think this nest and its eggs come from the travertine quercy, famous deposit that also beautiful insects like this one

" Other insects occur in travertine, e.g. in the Miocene of Saint Gérard-le-Puy (France) (Hugueney et al., 1990) where casts of caddisfly cases (with some larvae) and dragonfly wings can be found. The travertine is formed by the deposition of calcium carbonate in lentic waters under warm climates. "

Bruno

this is amazing :faint::faint:

post-967-1250362442_thumb.jpg

Hi,

In France, there are several places where sources produce of the travertin. People come to put down objects there (nests, vegetation etc.) and to take back them some weeks later. Then, they are covered with limestone.

Scientifically, I do not think that these objects have some value, this has nothing to do with fossils. The only charm of these sources is this capacity to produce so much carbonate.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

In France, there are several places where sources produce of the travertin. People come to put down objects there (nests, vegetation etc.) and to take back them some weeks later. Then, they are covered with limestone.

Scientifically, I do not think that these objects have some value, this has nothing to do with fossils. The only charm of these sources is this capacity to produce so much carbonate.

Coco

tu veux dires que l'on peut fabriquer des objets couverts de carbonate dans ces sources ?

you want to say that we can make objects covered carbonate in these sources? :blink::blink:

Yes Bruno, some people put things in them to petrify (?) them. We say "fontaines pétrifiantes".

http://cgi.ebay.fr/CLERMONT-FERRAND-fontai...0529142002r4078

http://www.moipourvous.over-blog.com/article-23707449-6.html

http://pays-guillestrin.wifeo.com/document...-Font-Petr2.pdf (read "tourisme")

http://www.lelienlocal.com/commercants/jar...rdin-tuf-38.php (read "Flâneries culturelle et gustative - Idées cadeaux à la boutique").

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yes Bruno, some people put things in them to petrify (?) them. We say "fontaines pétrifiantes".

http://cgi.ebay.fr/CLERMONT-FERRAND-fontai...0529142002r4078

http://www.moipourvous.over-blog.com/article-23707449-6.html

http://pays-guillestrin.wifeo.com/document...-Font-Petr2.pdf (read "tourisme")

http://www.lelienlocal.com/commercants/jar...rdin-tuf-38.php (read "Flâneries culturelle et gustative - Idées cadeaux à la boutique").

Coco

HEY! Y'all are in America now! Speak Spanish!

:D

Absolutely fantastic! Is it as rare as I think it is? Thank you so much for sharing.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

It looks wonderful to me! :drool::drool:

Why do you feel it is of little scientific value?

If you can't prove provenance it has no value to science.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I think this nest and its eggs come from the travertine quercy, famous deposit that also beautiful insects like this one

" Other insects occur in travertine, e.g. in the Miocene of Saint Gérard-le-Puy (France) (Hugueney et al., 1990) where casts of caddisfly cases (with some larvae) and dragonfly wings can be found. The travertine is formed by the deposition of calcium carbonate in lentic waters under warm climates. "

Bruno

this is amazing :faint::faint:

Here is my favorite Saint Gérard-le-Puy specimen:

post-423-1250370342_thumb.jpg

The matrix is composed of caddisfly larva cases (of a specie extinct by the Miocene).

It was taken from a void in the limestone that was revealed during mining.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi,

Coco

I have drilled a small hole into the bottom, and there is no original plant material remaining; is has been replaced. A clue, but no proof...

My inquiry continues, through the middleman, as to the exact origin of this piece. So far, it is said to have come from the fissures of Quercy, during an excavation.

We will see whether this gets me anywhere...

The eggs look so perfectly placed, hard to believe they would be fossilized in that position without some creature coming to take a look-see. Very interesting.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hi,

So far, it is said to have come from the fissures of Quercy, during an excavation.

We will see whether this gets me anywhere...

The quercy is a very karstic region. Maybe it is the reason for which sources are more limestones and produce of the travertin.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Hi,

The quercy is a very karstic region. Maybe it is the reason for which sources are more limestones and produce of the travertin.

Coco

Hey Coco and Chas ,The quercy in France is a region known for its cuisine,we have mushrooms "truffles", the good wine, Chas has eggs, why not make a good omelette !!!! :rofl:

post-967-1250405471_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250405492_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250405712_thumb.jpg

I have received some more information: it came from a cave near Saint-Remeze, Ardeche. This is an area of de-roofed paleokarst that was last drained of ground water +/- 5.4 MYA (the Mediterranean underwent a drastic lowering then, which profoundly altered the ground water levels in the region). Since travertine is deposited during immersion, the nest could be at least that old (possibly having been constructed during an annual fluctuation in the water table prior to that).

Still a load of supposition, but this kind of research is what I enjoy most :)

I have received some more information: it came from a cave near Saint-Remeze, Ardeche. This is an area of de-roofed paleokarst that was last drained of ground water +/- 5.4 MYA (the Mediterranean underwent a drastic lowering then, which profoundly altered the ground water levels in the region). Since travertine is deposited during immersion, the nest could be at least that old (possibly having been constructed during an annual fluctuation in the water table prior to that).

Still a load of supposition, but this kind of research is what I enjoy most :)

The Messinian Crisis ...? mmmmm.... interesting <_<