Is it a real dinosaur egg?

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Very hard to avoid this since the seller in this discussion is part of the answer

We are suggesting it shouldn't be on the public boards.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just now, Troodon said:

Very hard to avoid this since the seller in this discussion is part of the answer

It really isn't. 
Don't talk about the sellers on the Forum. 

If you feel the need to "warn" someone about a seller, then send them a PM.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Understand and that is done all of the time, it's nothing new.  Unfortunately it only helps the person receiving the PM and misleads all the others reading the responses that the fossils are good without understanding the background.  

The diagnostic details of the piece (as much as can be gleaned from images) should be sufficient in reasonably determining the authenticity of the piece. Indicating why it is or is not real, or its true identity, does not require any reference to a seller. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 5/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, Troodon said:

Unfortunately it only helps the person receiving the PM and misleads all the others reading the responses that the fossils are good without understanding the background.  

Unless the Forum's Members are willing to carry the burden of legal funding if/when the Forum gets sued, then people are just going to have to do their own research into the sellers.  ;) 

As long as there is a commercial fossil industry, there will be fraudulent sellers. :(

It is incumbent on the PURCHASER to do their research into what they are buying. We can help with assessing the fossils, NOT the dealers. :) 

It is not within the realm of the Fossil Forum's influence to judge or comment on commercial dealers of fossils.

This really is not the platform to be pointing out who we believe to be unscrupulous sellers.  

The fossils themselves are all we need/want to discuss here. 

Please, let's just keep it at that. ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We all hate fraud and deceit, especially when fossils are involved.
The very real threat if litigation, however, demands that we be cautious about making public allegations about individuals: at 40K +/- unique visitors a month, it is inevitable that one of these unscrupulous individuals try for a big payday via defamation suit. That would Shut. Us. Down.

Using statements like "some dealers", "many sellers", and other non-specific phrases should serve our educational mission when coupled with good analysis of the methods of forgery.

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just came back from a holiday in China. Wow, what did I miss?

Anyway, since sellers shouldn't be named or identified here, I would just like to add this statement to everyone reading :

Dinosaur eggs are one of the most highly faked, yet desirable fossils in the market. Before you put your money down, post some pictures here. People on TFF are more than happy to help discern if it's genuine.

For more info, refer to these threads:

Happy collecting!

• I found this Informative 5

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• Fossildude19 locked this topic
  • Fossildude19 unlocked this topic