garyc

This vertebra is different the typical ones I find.  I found it in pleistocene gravels of the Brazos River in SE Texas. Any ideas?  The neural canal is so small....

DSCN0248.JPG

DSCN0249.JPG

DSCN0250.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the quick response. I only find terrestrial mammals around here, so now I’m wondering if this is a Proboscidean caudal?

I’m gonna wager sloth.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks Dan! That would be very cool. From searching images on line and comparing to a smaller sloth caudal I’ve found ; Do the smaller ones have no neural arch? Or are they just broken off?

I’ll need to look at mine.  They are often just a rolled centrum in my experience, but I do have a few more complete ones.  Not all that common with the neural canal like yours.

Grüße,

Again, I’ve never heard of any marine mammals coming out of the Brazos River. There is an AOC seen deposit about 100 miles to the north that produces some shark teeth, but nothing like that around me.  Maybe @Harry Pristis Could weigh in on this. I will also post some more pics

Here are 4 more pics with some comparative material. The bottom left in each pic is one that I posted previously which @Uncle Siphuncle had supposed to be a sloth caudal. The upper left is one I found just yesterday and decided to throw in with these. I think the upper left is about the same as the lower left. The one I originally posted in this thread is upper right in each pic.

DSCN0256.JPG

DSCN0257.JPG

DSCN0258.JPG

here's the fourth

btw....I was initially unable to load this pic because I had reached the max size. I deleted this current post and restarted and was allowed to post this last pic. Maybe I cracked the code......

DSCN0259.JPG

here's one more with a glyptodon caudal in the upper right. These are some big size differences for caudal verts. So far they have all been tentatively ID'd as either sloth or glyptodon. Any chance any are holmesina?

DSCN0266.JPG

Now you have me wondering if my kneejerk response was accurate or not.  Won’t hurt my feelings if not!

Grüße,

• 2 weeks later...

I've attached a picture of a caudal vertebrae that I collected from the Brazos, and I've tentatively identified as Paramylodon (but I am not an expert).  The scale doesn't show well, but max width is 7 inches.

A.jpg

B.jpg

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, fossilus said:

@garyc Hopefully you are still receiving replies to this thread, but I noticed this vertebrae while trying to ID one of mine.

From website:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/eremotherium-tail-vertebra-venice-fl-129187538

:5b5cb2b73d21f_eremotheriumcaudal.png.b12e23b41f9f53bf3d9d74b5e68e61a1.png

Thanks   fossilus!!  I’d say that’s a dead ringer for mine. That’s pretty cool