Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

On 6/26/2019 at 4:52 AM, t-tree said:

5d135bfa47d43_SAM_1687(3).thumb.JPG.69b163f21e101f1b304331cf3a3537e7.JPG

Thank-you for the editing tip.

T-tree,

Thanks for showing those cards.  As you probably know, a long thread could be assembled just with photos of all the various dinosaur/prehistoric animal trading cards that have ever been released.  I have a number of different ones (partial sets) from the UK alone.  Here in the U.S., there have been numerous sets released in packs and boxes as well as others inserted in cereal and other food/drink products.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

A dinosaur with an Eiffel Tower! You are a man of taste ! (I hope the translator wasn’t kidding me !) :D

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here are a few coins that were inserted in cereal back in the 70's, I think.  Someone said they are from 1988 but I believe I've had them longer than that.  They are said to be made of aluminum and are 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  You can see the four different ones I collected back then with the second photo showing the back of the coin.

The second photo also shows a coin that is for sale at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History,  It's 1 1/2 inches in diameter as well but made of copper and shows the giant placoderm fish, Dunkleosteus.  How many coins have a Dunkleosteus on it?

dino_coin1.jpg

dino_coin2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

18 hours ago, Randyw said:

The 70s sound about right. I remember getting them when I was a pup. 

Thanks.  Yeah, Post cereal, specifically Fruity Pebbles, did have dinosaur coins in the 80's but they were a little different and I don't have any of those.  Maybe I should get one of those too.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, siteseer said:

Here are a few coins that were inserted in cereal back in the 70's, I think.  Someone said they are from 1988 but I believe I've had them longer than that.  They are said to be made of aluminum and are 1 1/2 inches in diameter.  You can see the four different ones I collected back then with the second photo showing the back of the coin.

The second photo also shows a coin that is for sale at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History,  It's 1 1/2 inches in diameter as well but made of copper and shows the giant placoderm fish, Dunkleosteus.  How many coins have a Dunkleosteus on it?

dino_coin1.jpg

dino_coin2.jpg

I had those same coins! I still might have a few . I got them out of fruit snack boxes in the late 80's early 90's. Must of been remade quite a few times.

Wow 30, 000 visitors to this thread. It goes to show how much dinosaurs are part of the public psyche . Thanks everyone 

17A70E00-0815-4BF9-9318-718579AEC0D9.gif

• I found this Informative 4

On 08/08/2019 at 1:57 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Wow 30, 000 visitors to this thread. It goes to show how much dinosaurs are part of the public psyche . Thanks everyone 

17A70E00-0815-4BF9-9318-718579AEC0D9.gif

This might just be the best gif ever... look at that happy wee face!

Woo woo! Major score at the tractor show flea market today... $7

(It's a circa 1966 transistor radio made to look like a gas pump, and the radio works!)

Resized_20190816_171026.thumb.jpeg.7518c1f9d608bfb5a0c40396bdc92e47.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Is it a radio? I love design. Great buy :envy:

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

Is it a radio? I love design. Great buy :envy:

Yep, radio!  And it works!  Circa 1966.  

On 8/16/2019 at 2:14 PM, Peat Burns said:

(It's a circa 1966 transistor radio made to look like a gas pump, and the radio works!)

Cool radio! I collect old transistor radios. Mostly Motorolas. I've never seen one like that before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

32 minutes ago, JohnBrian said:

Cool radio! I collect old transistor radios. Mostly Motorolas. I've never seen one like that before.

Awesome. I love old transistor radios, especially the portable ones. They foster childhood nostalgia.  I don't collect them (yet!) but I have a growing collection of Sinclair promotional items.  I think the volume control on this one needs cleaned, as it is scratchy and sometimes turning it results in loss of sound.

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Awesome. I love old transistor radios, especially the portable ones. They foster childhood nostalgia.  I don't collect them (yet!) but I have a growing collection of Sinclair promotional items.  I think the volume control on this one needs cleaned, as it is scratchy and sometimes turning it results in loss of sound.

Get some DeOxit Contact cleaner & lubricant. That stuff works great (UNLESS the variable resistor volume control is damaged, which is kind of rare but not unheard of). I've revived many a volume control with that stuff!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

44 minutes ago, JohnBrian said:

Get some DeOxit Contact cleaner & lubricant. That stuff works great (UNLESS the variable resistor volume control is damaged, which is kind of rare but not unheard of). I've revived many a volume control with that stuff!

I bet that will do the trick, because the more I've moved the volume dial around, the better it's gotten, so probably just needs cleaned after all these years.  Thanks!

I started to make another model today from out of a vintage plastic toy I had when I was a kid.  It needs lots  more work. I will probably finesse it next week. It started to work I think and I took inspiration for Zdenek Burian painting. 

1985CCF6-6C75-41A1-8380-227AAA8F854E.jpeg

B84B5844-23C7-48BD-9B10-54D93AB24AAC.jpeg

FAD560B9-FF5A-4133-8A59-46E022044FA7.jpeg

A79D7D34-1A60-4BF8-B9FE-0A7C8154C1A2.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Here are some pewter figures I bought back in the 80's at a local wine & art festival.  I don't remember the artist.  He had an eye for detail and added a little gold color to the stegosaur's spikes, the ankylosaur's head, the Parasaurolphus' crest, and the Triceratops' eyes and nose horn.  I couldn't resist the group.  The Triceratops is 1 1/2 inches long (approx. 37 mm).  The ankylosaur isn't quite 1 1/8 inches long.

Jess

ankylo.jpg

parasaur.jpg

stego.jpg

tricera.jpg

Here is an apparent Allosaurus that seems modeled after the skeleton displayed at the American Museum of Natural History in Hew York.  It's made of metal and may be pewter.  It doesn't have any identifying marks other than a date, "1983."  It has some detail so someone took some time to make it.  It's about 3 1/8 inches long or around 80 mm.

I bought it for maybe $4 in the 80's at a flea market.  

allo.jpg

I’m sure this early 90’s TV show has already been mentioned in the many pages of this thread, but this was one of my favorites as a kid. I know... showing my age.. or lack of... depending on your point of view... :P 

The baby was the best with great lines such as... 

“I’m the baby. Gotta love me!”

And 

“Not the momma!” (As he hit his dad over the head with something.) —I chuckled just typing that. :heartylaugh:

4C2278D3-CA49-4536-BC50-A90351BA93D3.thumb.jpeg.2b3471abc93ea35bc3be0c0afd337981.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)