Nevada Nipper

Frank Menser

Just won this on Ebay for a very inexpensive price (yes I am gloating :rolleyes: ). The description on this was A Canid from Nevada. Anyone know their puppies well enough to suggest which one this might be?

post-1313-1250460087_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250460109_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest Smilodon
Just won this on Ebay for a very inexpensive price (yes I am gloating :rolleyes: ). The description on this was A Canid from Nevada. Anyone know their puppies well enough to suggest which one this might be?

post-1313-1250460087_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250460109_thumb.jpg

If Andreas didn't know the critter, it's highly unlikely anyone here will. Of course, I'm sure there will be rampant and useless speculation in 3..2..1..

I'm sure there will be rampant and useless speculation in 3..2..1..

Dalmation! ... no?

St. Bernard! . . . hmmm

maybe Smilodon? oh wait, thats a cat.. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

What is your issue.........How rude........... :angry:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Guest Smilodon
Dalmation! ... no?

St. Bernard! . . . hmmm

maybe Smilodon? oh wait, thats a cat.. :)

Shama

Get ready for " I don't know anything about this stuff but it definitely looks like (fill in the blank) to me."

Actually, I'm absolutely certain it's Gidget, the Taco Bell Chihuahua. Things fossilize fast out in the desert.

If Andreas didn't know the critter, it's highly unlikely anyone here will. Of course, I'm sure there will be rampant and useless speculation in 3..2..1..

Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean no one else here does. We do have some very intelligent members many much nicer and smarter than you.

Oh .....I forgot to mention..... great looking fossil .......comgrads on you ebay acquisition......I wish I can tell you what it is....... :(

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Shama

Get ready for " I don't know anything about this stuff but it definitely looks like (fill in the blank) to me."

Actually, I'm absolutely certain it's Gidget, the Taco Bell Chihuahua. Things fossilize fast out in the desert.

Ahh, this calls for a new signature..

Many very useful and very educational subjects on this board have come from someone's "useless" speculation. Someone else that knows more about the subject comes along, corrects them and takes the time to explain to them why it can't be what they thought it was. Most here are still learning and eager to share when they think they know what something is. You'll have to excuse people around here if they seem to be too friendly.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

On this Forum, speculation almost always leads to that special form of communication called "dialogue".

I have learned a great deal through this exchange of ideas, and I look forward every day to discovering more things that I know nothing about.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Many very useful and very educational subjects on this board have come from someone's "useless" speculation.

When someone posts a piece asking for identification help, guesses are of absolutely no use. Anyone can throw out a ballpark guess. In fact, blatant guesses tend to clutter up topics and hinder easy browsing.

When someone posts a piece asking for identification help, guesses are of absolutely no use. Anyone can throw out a ballpark guess. In fact, blatant guesses tend to clutter up topics and hinder easy browsing.

I agree that people shouldn't treat topics like this like they do the "ID challenge" topics that people can guess away in, but if someone suspects they know what it is and nobody else has chimed in, they shouldn't be afraid of posting out of fear that they might get it wrong.

Nate I agree that random guesses are useless, but I think that an educated guess can lead to a positive id as it gives others a basis to work off. Take this piece for example if someone were to just guess coyote it would be useless but if they were to know the area and know what can be found there and know which species of canid were commonly found in nevada and say that it was likely coyote then the other members and Frank could do additional research on them and perhaps come to a consensus of what it was.

Nate I agree that random guesses are useless, but I think that an educated guess can lead to a positive id as it gives others a basis to work off. Take this piece for example if someone were to just guess coyote it would be useless but if they were to know the area and know what can be found there and know which species of canid were commonly found in nevada and say that it was likely coyote then the other members and Frank could do additional research on them and perhaps come to a consensus of what it was.

As Smilodon said, if Andreas couldn't ID this piece, it's doubtful anyone on this board can.

Guest Smilodon
Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean no one else here does. We do have some very intelligent members many much nicer and smarter than you.

Anson,

That's twice now in the last week that you've misread recent posts and then posted nonsense afterward.

I am close friends with the person who sold that item to your member. I asked him about it. That person is exceeded in his knowledge of that type of material, by no one else, and he couldn't identify it. If YOU had read my post, I said if that seller didn't know what it was, no one here would. And I stand by my assertion. I did not say ME.

I see rampant speculation all over the site. While you may take that as valuable, I take it as hot air and of dubious value. I only comment on things when I am certain, if I am not certain I say so or say nothing.

So, a moderator now publicly posts a personal attack. Shall I report you? Sheesh.

Think I'll change my signature to

"It ain't bragging if you can back it up."

Dizzy Dean

If people come here hoping to learn information, you have a duty to at least attempt to provide correct information. If people want a social networking party. Well, I shrug my shoulders

One of your members who is a great fossil hunter and who asks me to id things invited me to check the site out.

In a very short time, I've established, to my satisfaction, where I am in the knowledge continuum. I bet I'm nicer than you too.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all.

-Socrates

Thank Cris, I'm the smartest of all!!!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Nicer than me? I doubt that seeing how I'm the only moderator/admin that hasn't decided to ban you for your pointless rudeness. In your short time here you have managed to irritate more members than any of the other members combined.

I'll have you know that I am actually bi-polar and I often find it difficult to not get irritated or upset at certain things but I have always remained nice to every member on this board even the ones who sometimes irritate me. Anyone that knows me knows that I am very nice.

I only comment on things when I am certain, if I am not certain I say so or say nothing.

Kind of like the hypothetical person you quoted up there.

I bet I'm nicer than you too.

:D

At the risk of geting back to the subject :blush: I googled Nevada Fossils and could find nothing concrete to go on. Does anyone know where one could find a list of Nevada fossil Mammal Vertebrates? Strikes me as a logical jumping off point.

I keep humming:

".....and they called it...Puppy Love..." :wub:

Mayhaps I'm showing my age?

Be true to the reality you create.

Hear-Here Its all ways a good thing to be polite to people even if they don't know as much you know. That is how you make friends and keep them....... how can people learn and take this forum seriously if people only make rude remarks like you have done......If you are so smart then why are you here and if you are here to teach then you need to learn how to be polite and not look down on people......And stop being so full of your self........

Tony

You had a good comment going, then you went too far.

If Andreas didn't know the critter, it's highly unlikely anyone here will.

Of course, I'm sure there will be rampant and useless speculation in 3..2..1..

How different it might have played, had you not lit the fuse:

If Andreas didn't know the critter, it's highly unlikely anyone will.

The second sentence is completely unnecessary. Instead of pointing out the difficulty of the ID and paying homage to your friend, you offended a lot of people. Pretty counter-productive, no?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

frank, i looked all over the internet at canid jaws and there are some that are pretty close but i wasn't too confident in any of them matching your jaw fragment. i will tell you one thing, that looks pretty dang cool especially in the matrix!

Guest Smilodon
Hear-Here Its all ways a good thing to be polite to people even if they don't know as much you know. That is how you make friends and keep them....... how can people learn and take this forum seriously if people only make rude remarks like you have done......If you are so smart then why are you here and if you are here to teach then you need to learn how to be polite and not look down on people......And stop being so full of your self........

NJ we had a nice thing going. I didn't say I knew what it was. I said that if the the best person around couldn't id it (and he was the one selling it) than no one here could correctly Id it.

And I am wrong, where? I didn't criticize the buyer, I didn't criticize the seller I didn't criticize the specimen - I opined something that is turning out to be true. What the heck is wrong with that?