Max-fossils

looks like someone may have been part of the Marine Mollusk Workshop:ninja:

Nice detailed ,sharp & large pix,from someone whom I'm guessing knows his bivalve systematics(because of the posting of all these hinge lines)

Ricardo probably knows this fragment from a bit of classic "hinge" lit :dinosmile:B)

huj.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

It's a weird shell, because the hinge is really Veneridae-like as @MikeR said, but the sculpture is so much more like the astartes! :headscratch:

Max,

Before sculpture you must look first to hinge, ligament, pallial sinus/line, adductor scars…

See some of the hinge pictures to help you please.

TELLINIDAE BLAINVILLE, 1814

Gastrana sp.

Left valve

IMG_9208.JPG.88fba899e415a3f84ac8876d2c89f5cc.JPG

Right valve

IMG_9512.JPG.dcb7c613b51e5abb632c46fcc6f2bbba.JPG

6 hours ago, doushantuo said:

looks like someone may have been part of the Marine Mollusk Workshop:ninja:

Nice detailed ,sharp & large pix,from someone whom I'm guessing knows his bivalve systematics(because of the posting of all these hinge lines)

Ricardo probably knows this fragment from a bit of classic "hinge" lit :dinosmile:B)

Classic papers are always pleasing! :dinothumb:

(MINOR threadjacking here)-->Yep,love reading Yonge ,Ansell and Trueman

Have this one reserved for a day of particularly bad weather

Am I thrilled to have it?

No,not at all:ninja:B)

huj.jpg

4 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Yep,love reading Yonge ,Ansell and Trueman

Have this one reserved for a day of particularly bad weather

Fortunately, we have a lot of classics available on net.

We will need a lot of bad weather days :headscratch:

VENERIDAE RAFINESQUE, 1815

Callista sp.

Left valve

IMG_9230.JPG.e6ab96e44b3f9f7f180f6adac051028f.JPG

Right valve

IMG_9231.JPG.23f5a47678dca60b11e3d688b7cecd31.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Max:distribution chart of Eemian mollusca in the Amersfoort borehole

huj.jpg

source:

huj.jpg

Max,concerning the ecology and/or distribution of mollusca in temperate waters: I have the feeling(could be wrong,though) that Arntz,Brunswig & Sarnthein(1976) could be

informative,but I'm basing that solely on author reputation and publication reputation.plus:your German would have to be up to scratch.

I don't have that paper,and it looks like it is hard to get .:angry:

About #8

On 6/1/2018 at 7:05 PM, Max-fossils said:

but the sculpture is so much more like the astartes

Alright, I take this back. After some research I saw that the species within the Clausinella genus have a very similar structure. So I'm more or less convinced that it's of this genus. Just gotta find a species that fits the time frame. 

About the rest (mainly #2, #4, and maybe #6)

Today I was talking briefly to one of my fossil-friends, one who knows a lot about the Zandmotor (a fossil location in the NL, my usual hunting spot), and he said that he had found the same species of small gastropods there as I found. (FYI, the sediments we are talking about are the same: both sands from the North Sea, and, judging by the fossil evidence, from the same Eemian sediments). And he said that the gastropod species were mostly freshwater. But it wouldn't really make sense for freshwater species to be mixed within marine ones, so it is very possible that these shells aren't Eemian at all, and perhaps early Holocene (~ 8'000 ya) (when at the time the North Sea was mainly swampland). 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

@doushantuo thanks for the PDFs. They seem very interesting. I bookmarked them so that I can have a look at them later (need to focus on exams first)

And my German is limited to "Gutentag" and "Ein brod und ein ei" (spelling is probably wrong too) :P So don't trouble yourself trying to find back that document.

@ricardo yeah I do know that those are features that you have to look at first, before the sculpture. But when I was writing that message I was just trying to explain why my initial (rushed) thought was Astartidae. :) 

And thanks for the really nice pictures of the hinge teeth! Fantastic detail on them. Your photography skills are outstanding (presuming that you took the photos). 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

22 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

(presuming that you took the photos). 

Those pictures were taken by me. I hope it helps for future id :)

• I found this Informative 1

You’re way over my heads and I don’t usualky try to go digging through primary journal papers for bivalves and gastropods. I admit to being lazy in the area of bivalve and gastropod ID. I do look at journals for cephalopods though.

Since my reference books that have mollusks in them are limited I go here and get as close as I can.

http://www.bagniliggia.it/WMSD/LfamilyA1.htm

It is the Worldwide Mollusk Species Database

The amount of data there is massive. There are over 142,000 species listed of both fossil and existant species. There are 10s of thousands of photos. Maybe one day it may be helpful.

Also, if you’re on Facebook there is a very serious group of fossil gastropod enthusiasts and professionals who ID stuff there. It’s the Fossil Gastropod group.

19 hours ago, ricardo said:

Those pictures were taken by me. I hope it helps for future id :)

Well then I repeat what I said earlier :) 

They will indeed also probably be helpful for future ID.

Max Derème

18 hours ago, KimTexan said:

You’re way over my heads and I don’t usualky try to go digging through primary journal papers for bivalves and gastropods. I admit to being lazy in the area of bivalve and gastropod ID. I do look at journals for cephalopods though.

Since my reference books that have mollusks in them are limited I go here and get as close as I can.

http://www.bagniliggia.it/WMSD/LfamilyA1.htm

It is the Worldwide Mollusk Species Database

The amount of data there is massive. There are over 142,000 species listed of both fossil and existant species. There are 10s of thousands of photos. Maybe one day it may be helpful.

Also, if you’re on Facebook there is a very serious group of fossil gastropod enthusiasts and professionals who ID stuff there. It’s the Fossil Gastropod group.

Ah thanks for the help Kim! Seems like a good website, I bookmarked it. 

Unfortunately I don't use Facebook. Luckily I've got you guys here on TFF, which are surely just as knowledgeable! :D 

Max Derème

About the continental fauna :

#2 Sucinella oblonga

#4 Oxyloma elegans

#6 Planorbis planorbis

Regards,

Bathollovian

2 hours ago, Bathollovian said:

About the continental fauna :

#2 Sucinella oblonga

#4 Oxyloma elegans

#6 Planorbis planorbis

Awesome, thanks for the info! :fistbump:

These are my first findings of fossil freshwater-shells, so I am quite happy with them. But there is still that big question mark on what their age is, as Eemian is not a possibility. 

Max Derème