Lake Texoma

R_Case

Are there any good places to go on Texoma without a boat? I was thing about taking my Daughter out there this weekend.

"No matter where you go, there you are!"

Tracer said: "yes, there are."

Tracer is usually more helpful, although seldom less obtuse, than this. :mellow:

I'd suggest starting out at the dam and walking the shoreline on the Texas side westward. Another popular spot is the shoreline at Lowes High Port. Others, especially our N. Tx. folk, will likely chime in with more options.

oh, i was just trying to get the ball rolling with the answers - figuring other people would fill in the details. and i was right! :P

but seriously, folks, um, texoma is gorgeous, but can be an ordeal. one time i left as close to dead from exertion and heat as i've ever been. course you probably won't have tj making you carry him out, but still...

at any rate, i believe in prowling the oklahoma side so i can flee over to texas if necessary. but the first and only time i tried that theory out, tj got jacked up by the oklahoma highway patrol while i just sort of chortled. yes, one of his first driving experiences netted him an okie smokie near trip to the pokey.

i've found fossils almost everywhere i've looked around texoma. it's a cool place.

I almost forgot the most important piece of advice. When done fossil hunting, drive across the dam to the OK side. There you will T into a highway. Just in front of you and to your left is a restaurant called Wendy's. This is a must-stop for fried catfish and green tomatto relish. DO NOT PASS THIS UP!!! :drool:

I almost forgot the most important piece of advice. When done fossil hunting, drive across the dam to the OK side. There you will T into a highway. Just in front of you and to your left is a restaurant called Wendy's. This is a must-stop for fried catfish and green tomatto relish. DO NOT PASS THIS UP!!! :drool:

Only in Oklahomer is Wendy's a high class restaurant! :P

As for the Lake, the water level should be up, but great for swimming in.

There should be stuff on both sides of the lake once you get about a mile up from the dam.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Only in Oklahomer is Wendy's a high class restaurant! :P

Maw an me et all tha time ther onse. They didn evan make her put on a shirt neithur. Tha vittles wer rielly guud 2. Maw sade we uns cude go on bak any time i wantd 2. i want 2 rite now just thunking bout it. :drool:

God, I hope no Okies read my previous entry.

Great folks, kind as can be, and genuine. (Dumber than a stump though.) OOPS! Did I write that out loud. :blush:

How do you raise the IQ of both Texas and OKlahoma? Move the Red River so it flows south of Dennison.

Now wait a minute, wait a minute. I love Oklahoma, really I do. Some of my best friends are Okies.

I better quit now while I'm behind. :wacko:

If you park at the dam on the texas side, as already mentioned, walk west. There is a roadway there that is blocked off to traffic. This leads to an abandoned boat ramp. If you walk down the ramp and again west.... you will see. You can continue on around the lake and find all sorts of things. However, keep in mind how far you're walking. Carrying lots of goodies out of there makes it a long hike back to the car.

It's one of my favorite places to hunt. Also keep in mind, it is illegal to take fossils from the Oklahoma side of the lake.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

it is illegal to take fossils from the Oklahoma side of the lake.

Is that true, Dave? How come? State Park?

R_Case,

Along those lines, it should be mentioned for completeness that you also can't take fossils from inside Eisenhower State Park on the Texas side, but that holds true with any Texas State Park, afaik.

Is that true, Dave? How come? State Park?

R_Case,

Along those lines, it should be mentioned for completeness that you also can't take fossils from inside Eisenhower State Park on the Texas side, but that holds true with any Texas State Park, afaik.

As far as I know you can pick them up on the ok side but you can't sell them. That is the only thing I have ever heard or could find on laws about it.

I tried looking up OK rules on fossil collecting. I didn't find much, but it looks like you should be careful. I know their laws are pretty strict on artifacts. I would call the Lake Texoma Authorities?? (or whoever is in charge) :)

well, now, hang on a sec. if you read the wikipedia article on lake texoma, you'll be even more confused on who owns what land on the north side. it's prolly either that trump group, the army, the okies, the native americans, and/or texas, after things get "reorganized" as they should sometime in the future.

but since ya'll have now scared me with more of that online legal mumbo jumbo, i from now on will be kicking any and all rocks in which i have an interest all the way from wherever i find them to the point at which they are indisputably resting in my own yard, located somewhere in the great state of east texas, at which point i will pick them up.

i will direct inquiries regarding my rock-kicking activities to the forum.

p.s. - wonder if anybody ever tries to claim dominion over any fossils by saying things like, "oh, yeah?! well, 75 million years ago my great...great grandfather staked a claim to this part of laurasia and you are standin' on it! so get off!!!"

I was mistaken. I meant to say Sell.... Sorry about the confusion... lol.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

well, now, hang on a sec. if you read the wikipedia article on lake texoma, you'll be even more confused on who owns what land on the north side. it's prolly either that trump group, the army, the okies, the native americans, and/or texas, after things get "reorganized" as they should sometime in the future.

but since ya'll have now scared me with more of that online legal mumbo jumbo, i from now on will be kicking any and all rocks in which i have an interest all the way from wherever i find them to the point at which they are indisputably resting in my own yard, located somewhere in the great state of east texas, at which point i will pick them up.

i will direct inquiries regarding my rock-kicking activities to the forum.

p.s. - wonder if anybody ever tries to claim dominion over any fossils by saying things like, "oh, yeah?! well, 75 million years ago my great...great grandfather staked a claim to this part of laurasia and you are standin' on it! so get off!!!"

There is no telling who owns what on the ok side. Private companies buy corp land that was purchased with tax dollars. Alot of stuff goes on that isn't right around this lake.

Maw an me et all tha time ther onse. They didn evan make her put on a shirt neithur. Tha vittles wer rielly guud 2. Maw sade we uns cude go on bak any time i wantd 2. i want 2 rite now just thunking bout it. :drool:

Spoken like a Longhorn!?! At least one bugging the okies.

It's like when I say I have aggie friends, too... heh heh heh (just kiddin Chase!)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Had a good hunt Saturday. Met some new people! Invited them to the forum!

"No matter where you go, there you are!"

Had a good hunt Saturday. Met some new people! Invited them to the forum!

Did you meet the Geo-Physicist and the two geologist? We were standing there talking and one of the younger guys reaches down and picks up a 2-3" complete ammonite specimen.

It was pretty cool. He offered it to me, but I declined.