Memphis Tn

Dave Bowen

Looks like I'll be staying in Memphis this weekend. Anyone have any places somewhat close by they could point me to for fossils or artifacts?

:) I would appreciate it very much. I need more fossils to prep and drool on. lol

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

If you can get in, Coon Creek would be the place to go, but I think you have to have a group. Memphis also has a mineal/fossil club, don't remember their name, but try googling them. They have several trips described along with locations. You might even try contacting them directly.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks Brent! I'll try that.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Dave I know a rockhound in Memphis who can put you on some sites but he will be in Washington state till the end of Sept. If your still in Memphis then will put you all in touch.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Thanks Seldom.

I'll be here indefinitely. I work here now, and eventually, I'll buy a house here somewhere. (Probably in Northern Mississippi)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Man I though you were just there training didn't know you were staying. I got a call into Bill maybe he will have some folks there you can call. Let you know when I hear from him

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Cool, thanks. Yea, I am commuting every weekend, or every other weekend back to Dallas. That's going to get old real fast... lol.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Cool, thanks. Yea, I am commuting every weekend, or every other weekend back to Dallas. That's going to get old real fast... lol.

Dave, I'm hoping that after you, me, and my big brother visit his personal sweet spot this winter, you'll have one to add to your local arsenal :drool:

Dave, I'm hoping that after you, me, and my big brother visit his personal sweet spot this winter, you'll have one to add to your local arsenal :drool:

Thay would be awesome Ron! I'm looking forward to hunting with you.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

I did that weekewnd commute thing for 9 months and it got real old after a month. My Wife and I traded off on who would visit. So for a month I would head home and the next month she and our son would come to visit me.

Good luck with your relocation Dave.

You do realize this move gets you closer to the low country......... ;)

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I did that weekewnd commute thing for 9 months and it got real old after a month. My Wife and I traded off on who would visit. So for a month I would head home and the next month she and our son would come to visit me.

Good luck with your relocation Dave.

You do realize this move gets you closer to the low country......... ;)

Thanks Mike. I'll probably commute until the kids finish this school year, then I'll move everyone down here.

Yea, I know I'm getting closer to the low country! I walked out this morning and thought I caught the faint smell of a meg tooth... I think I even heard it calling my name.... ;)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Didn't realize you were moving there, you'll be about 120 miles south of me. There is a creek in Arkansas, not far from Memphis, called Cow Creek, it is supposed to have sharks teeth and other interesting tid bits. One professor took some grad students and sieved a few TONS (that is what grad students are good for) of material, and they found some ancient mammal remains, don't remember if they were eocene or miocene. I have the article, I'll look it up and give you more info.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Ooops, the name is Crow Creek, and it is in St, Francis County, Arkansas. There are a number of articles written by Dr. James Westgate, formerly of Southwest Missouri State, now at the University of Texas-Austin. The material is Eocene, and they found catshark, tigershark, lemon shark, sawfish, barracuda, and ray remains, among others.

Higher vertebrates include crocodile, giant snake, and basilosaurus. They also found some mammals, but I can't find the reference right now.

They mention a quarry, I don't think it is commercial.

Reference

Lower Vertebrates from the late eocene crow creek local fauna, st francis county, arkansas

James w. westgate

journal of paleontology, december 1984

If you get there and find something, let me know. I have always been curious about the site.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Very cool! I'll be back in Dallas this weekend, but next weekend I should be able to head out there and look around. I'll bring back some gravel for something to do during the week.

I'll update with any findings.

Thanks again Brent! :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.