geological or fossil?

Rowboater

and the first reply identifying the fossils was Lori's! An interesting path to this one

I was waiting for your reply, Lori, because I was almost sure that the "rods" are not Staurolite crystals.

There are excellent images attached to your great ID! Good work, congrats!

I'm amazed, also I'm happy I was in the right camp.

Rowboater's had a good idea sending specimens for determination to both sides (geology, ichnology). :)

Pellets2.jpg.ddb365e748d37d9820d8064607f59c2a.thumb.jpg.9dc644749a8c3b1dd15424aeb9130c0c.jpg5b329e6f8d1c2_Figure.2.thumb.jpg.d02eb63c8f0586b4f2e119478afacff9.jpg5b329e5fc7cb9_Figure.3.thumb.jpg.3150673cf0318f0d8c5006baec3158a6.jpg

comparative pictures from E. Gischler et al, 2017

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I was an expert about a couple of specimens from NJ for only about a month! I thought, "Jeez, writing this paper is going to be a cinch! There can't be much information about fossil callianassid coprolites!" Wow was I wrong. There is a UNIVERSE of papers on this topic out there! It was a Pandora's Box.

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

You are in the right camp 99.97215% of the time. :D 

How you calculated that...? :oyh:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Mysid crustacean foregut morphology,transverse section(Kobusch/Phil.Tr.Roy.Soc./1998)

2f566tyyy4ee44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the high-resolution photos, GeschWhat! No everything is clear!

Franz Bernhard

15 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for the high-resolution photos, GeschWhat! No everything is clear!

Franz Bernhard

You are very welcome!

6 hours ago, doushantuo said:

diagenesis/ecol

14 Mb,and extremely useful.IMHO

recommended

Looks like a good resource! Thanks for the link!

5 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

You are very welcome!

Looks like a good resource! Thanks for the link!

Thanks everyone, this has been a great learning experience for me!  Unfortunately I was away and missed the discussion in real time. The pieces I sent GeschWhat were from a Middlesex County beach on the Rappahannock River near its mouth, but I think they must be common in this whole area.  

For 50 years kids have scoured the little creek that I hunt, looking for fossil shark teeth.  When my niece and nephew were young, they gathered thousands (which they left on the floor at times and were swept up and thrown away by my sister in disgust).  Most kids would not keep skate teeth or broken teeth (even big whale vertebrae set on the banks for years, too big for the kids to take).  It's amazing how much small interesting stuff, such as these "little rods"/ coprolites, were ignored.

Great there's so much interest and expertise on this site.  Thanks again for everyone's time and opinions!  I'm away another week, but hope to find more interesting stuff when I return!  

• I found this Informative 2

On 7/2/2018 at 8:53 AM, GeschWhat said:

I forgot to ask, what formations would/could these be from?

Most of these are gathered from 'pockets' in a small creek where everything else  (mostly shark teeth and shells) appear to be Miocene as are  the Rapp River samples I sent you (similar to Calvert Cliffs to our north).

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 4:17 AM, abyssunder said:

I was waiting for your reply, Lori, because I was almost sure that the "rods" are not Staurolite crystals.

There are excellent images attached to your great ID! Good work, congrats!

I'm amazed, also I'm happy I was in the right camp.

Rowboater's had a good idea sending specimens for determination to both sides (geology, ichnology). :)

Pellets2.jpg.ddb365e748d37d9820d8064607f59c2a.thumb.jpg.9dc644749a8c3b1dd15424aeb9130c0c.jpg5b329e6f8d1c2_Figure.2.thumb.jpg.d02eb63c8f0586b4f2e119478afacff9.jpg5b329e5fc7cb9_Figure.3.thumb.jpg.3150673cf0318f0d8c5006baec3158a6.jpg

comparative pictures from E. Gischler et al, 2017

Some more

Have been finding several of these things on the beach lately, typically maximally about 3" long (7 cm).  Guess they are fossilized burrows of these shrimp?  Curious if extant species do the same thing and how the burrows are oriented (horizontally, vertically?)  I took photos of the side that the micro-coprolites are most obvious, but some are completely, densely covered (although GeschWhat noted that many are too flattened to be useful (beyond giving to school kids!)  Some slight differences in size, hopefully multiple species?

Haven't heard from GeschWhat in a while; hope she's just busy.  haven't been able to get back in the freshwater spots where the ones found tend to be less weathered.

110118.thumb.jpg.e594bae4dedda996ee415e789057580c.jpg110118-2.jpg.b70cef245dcafbd30bf02fbb39b228bf.jpg

These are spectacular, Rowboater! They are definitely coprolite masses and likely from shrimp, though it would take a clear, extreme closeup to be sure. The burrows of callianassids (called Ophiomorpha as fossils) are significantly different so I've never had a clear idea about what these masses represent. It could actually be that since the tiny coprolites all behave identically in a hydrodynamic sense they may accumulate in drifts and get deposited in cavities, thus taking the shape of that cavity. I refer to these as "chamber pots" for that reason. Maybe these drifted into the burrows of some other animal. Or maybe they are not callianassids and fill the burrow of their maker. Very hard to say if they are found loose like this (ie., out of their original sedimentary context) as they normally are.

2 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Those look like great examples. Many appear to have a clear cross sections much like those in the first two specimens you sent. 

Hi Lori,

I sent some to Carl, am hoping to get some from the freshwater creek where they tend to be less weathered.  Do you know: Are the coprolites throughout the inside of the "burrow" pellets, or are they just on the outside?  I have some that seem to be mostly ends or cross-sections showing, but not sure the morphology is still there or weathered away.  Do you mostly focus on these ends and cross-sections that are visible on the pellet, or do you make fresh cuts in situ,  (or cut off rods and cross section them)?  Do you mostly want rods or ends (cross sections) showing in the samples?

My dissection scope was knocked over and is out of alignment now, so I cannot  really tell how intact the end/ cross sections are.  But your optics are much better so possibly you could find some not too damaged by weathering?

20 hours ago, Rowboater said:

Hi Lori,

I sent some to Carl, am hoping to get some from the freshwater creek where they tend to be less weathered.  Do you know: Are the coprolites throughout the inside of the "burrow" pellets, or are they just on the outside?  I have some that seem to be mostly ends or cross-sections showing, but not sure the morphology is still there or weathered away.  Do you mostly focus on these ends and cross-sections that are visible on the pellet, or do you make fresh cuts in situ,  (or cut off rods and cross section them)?  Do you mostly want rods or ends (cross sections) showing in the samples?

My dissection scope was knocked over and is out of alignment now, so I cannot  really tell how intact the end/ cross sections are.  But your optics are much better so possibly you could find some not too damaged by weathering?

That is wonderful! Carl has access to better equipment than I do. Best I can tell the pellets go all the way through. I didn't have enough samples where I felt comfortable cutting one of the good ones. One of the better ones you sent didn't make it back from a paleo camp presentation. I didn't realize it was missing until I set up for the next presentation. :( I primarily focus on the end or cross sections. The arrangement and shape of the canals in cross section are the distinguishing features. I did try to scrape away some of the surface on the ends of some of the rods in the last batch you sent, but wasn't able to make out any of the canals. They were either too compressed or perhaps belong to the Favreina isp. which have very tiny canals that would be hard to see under lower magnification. I do have a cellular microscope but haven't figured out how to create a thin section in order to view them. It looks like many of the ends are could be made out in many from those pictured. Perhaps @Carl will post images???

Hi Lori,

I went to the creek in the woods, but could not get to the place where I originally found these things.  The creek bank collapsed (with a lot of help from the local kids).  I wish I was into shells, lots of nice ones and some I had not seen before (not ecphora, only saw pieces of those).

Will send some samples with ends/ cross-sections showing, from the beach, and hopefully you can get some more nice photos with these.  Not as common as I originally thought, but I'm sure I will find plenty more.  Will keep you and Carl in mind if I find some really nice ones.  I'm hoping there will be multiple species.

Wow... I just received your generous donation and they are by far the best anomuran coprolites I have ever seen! Thanks so much for these beauties!