Paladin Trilo And Crinoids.

Shensley

Thought I'd post some photos from a site near me in eastern Ohio. The crinoids have been a surprise being huge although I have yet to find a holdfast or head. The rocks are "rip rap" on the Ohio river. I've tried finding out where they came from without success.

The trilobite has been identified as a Paladin, they're few and far between. The brachs, bryozoans, and crinoids are common.

Took my friend's boyscout group there once. One kid found 3 perfect little trilos on one rock. I've also found horn corals, different types of brachiopods, and gastropods (one).

I have been going to this site for 2 years now. My mother sometimes goes with me to try her hand at finding good stuff, the "Is this a fossil?" comments come from her every few minutes... The thing I like about this place is that its always quiet. You can go to hunt, fish on the river, or just enjoy the scenery. There's usually no one in sight, occasionally a fisherman or 2 are around. One even reeled his pole in and gave it a go with hunting. He found enough to take to show his grandkids. :D Haven't been there since early spring, I may head there on my next day off.

I found it by accident, there is a small, very small, shaley outcropping close there and was looking around for plant fossils. Found one small beat up lycopod impression. Came across this blue/grey limestone on the banks and thought I'd go a bit farther to see if there was anymore shale around. I even remember thinking, "darn limestone is everywhere" ...Then saw a huge crinoid standing out against the darker rocks.

So here's some photos.

post-2109-1250862521_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250862571_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250862586_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250862626_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250862703_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250862810_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250863005_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250863038_thumb.jpg

Finding that quarry would be nice, those crinoids show real potential.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I see you have had a great time collecting in your quiet spot. Do you know what age the fossils are? lower Mississippian?

Thought I'd post some photos from a site near me in eastern Ohio. The crinoids have been a surprise being huge although I have yet to find a holdfast or head. The rocks are "rip rap" on the Ohio river. I've tried finding out where they came from without success.

The trilobite has been identified as a Paladin, they're few and far between. The brachs, bryozoans, and crinoids are common.

Took my friend's boyscout group there once. One kid found 3 perfect little trilos on one rock. I've also found horn corals, different types of brachiopods, and gastropods (one).

I have been going to this site for 2 years now. My mother sometimes goes with me to try her hand at finding good stuff, the "Is this a fossil?" comments come from her every few minutes... The thing I like about this place is that its always quiet. You can go to hunt, fish on the river, or just enjoy the scenery. There's usually no one in sight, occasionally a fisherman or 2 are around. One even reeled his pole in and gave it a go with hunting. He found enough to take to show his grandkids. :D Haven't been there since early spring, I may head there on my next day off.

I found it by accident, there is a small, very small, shaley outcropping close there and was looking around for plant fossils. Found one small beat up lycopod impression. Came across this blue/grey limestone on the banks and thought I'd go a bit farther to see if there was anymore shale around. I even remember thinking, "darn limestone is everywhere" ...Then saw a huge crinoid standing out against the darker rocks.

So here's some photos.

Ohio has fossils almost everywhere you look! If you don't have FOSSILS OF OHIO from the Geological Survey, you should get a copy. I found Paladin chesterensis illustrated (pygidium) from "near Fultonham, Perry County, Ohio" (East-central Ohio). The book says that Paladin is "moderately common in the Maxville Formation [Mississippian] of eastern Ohio."

Good hunting!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If anyone is ever interested enough to want to go there, its eastern Ohio, south of Steubenville on route 7, south of the dam in Yorkville. There's enough rocks there to share. ^_^

Cool photos.

Any idea why rip rap was needed there?

Its there close to a dam on the river. I have a feeling it was part of a hillside blasted out to make a state route road in the 70's (or 60's? not really sure). It was easy for them to haul this there since the road is close. On the hillside you can see some bluish limestone but its too high for me to identify, plus the highway is too busy to stop and look closer. Thats my idea though, I'm really only guessing.