Carboniferous Flora From North Euramerica Continent 5

docdutronc

Hi

Lepidodendron barks may show several conditions of fossilization, the bark is composed of several layers, depending on the depth of decortication, there is aspidiaria which shows the contours shaped diamond stretched vertically, and the deepest knorria which leaves appear only trace veins bringing the sap to the leaf scar to feed the leaf .....

the best known are counterparts , showing fine leaf scars, the lower layers of bark are difficult to harvest and are often buried in the coal, here's a knorria after cleaning .....

post-967-1251033241_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251033274_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251033402_thumb.jpg

Making sense of Lepidodendron barks is a little like peeling an onion (without the tears). The challenge in associating the different named 'species' seems to be the ability to recognize small details.

I hope someday to finally "get it" :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Making sense of Lepidodendron barks is a little like peeling an onion (without the tears). The challenge in associating the different named 'species' seems to be the ability to recognize small details.

I hope someday to finally "get it" :)

Hi Auspex

It's very easy when you fends shale, a Lepidodendron on one side and a Decortication on the other side , is a different story when you find the pieces separately ,the puzzle is more difficult ....this morning I was lucky, there was that on one side and the other that ....

post-967-1251037148_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251037161_thumb.jpg

Hi

Lepidodendron barks may show several conditions of fossilization, the bark is composed of several layers, depending on the depth of decortication, there is aspidiaria which shows the contours shaped diamond stretched vertically, and the deepest knorria which leaves appear only trace veins bringing the sap to the leaf scar to feed the leaf .....

the best known are counterparts , showing fine leaf scars, the lower layers of bark are difficult to harvest and are often buried in the coal, here's a knorria after cleaning .....

Thanks Bruno, very interesting and educational as usual.

Is this lepidodendron or aspidaria bark?

post-814-1251038520_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Roman

Thanks Bruno, very interesting and educational as usual.

Is this lepidodendron or aspidaria bark?

post-814-1251038520_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Roman

Hi Roman

no this bark is a counterpart,Lepidodendron barks,in reality lepidodendron is like this one ....

post-967-1251041456_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... fabulous!.........No wonder your called Mr Tree .... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Roman

no this bark is a counterpart,Lepidodendron barks,in reality lepidodendron is like this one ....

:blink: Not only are there different layers of bark, and barks of different maturity, there are also positive and negative preservations :wacko:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

:blink: Not only are there different layers of bark, and barks of different maturity, there are also positive and negative preservations :wacko:

Hi Auspex

Combinations are numerous, Paleobotany is not easy ,that is for this reason arborescent lepidophytes fascinates me !most especially the genius Lepidodendron .....

bruno

post-967-1251049044_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251049123_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251049185_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251049251_thumb.jpg

post-967-1251049490_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... Im having a guess here, but learning lots....... ;) ... This specimen might be a very basal specimen from the trunk of a Lepidodendron tree, but I also think it could be the 'couterpart ' or 'negative'..... It may be too small a section for a positive ID.... but could you take a look....Thanks....

post-1630-1251050551_thumb.jpg

Bruno..... Im having a guess here, but learning lots....... ;) ... This specimen might be a very basal specimen from the trunk of a Lepidodendron tree, but I also think it could be the 'couterpart ' or 'negative'..... It may be too small a section for a positive ID.... but could you take a look....Thanks....

post-1630-1251050551_thumb.jpg

Steve

It is a 3 D ? , there is a very fine decoration but no scars, some furrows , it may be a decortication of bothrodendron...,bothrodendron minutifolium

post-967-1251065140_thumb.jpg

Bruno...... Thanks once again..... your a wealth of Knowledge.... ;)

Guest solius symbiosus
Steve

It is a 3 D ? , there is a very fine decoration but no scars, some furrows , it may be a decortication of bothrodendron...,bothrodendron minutifolium

I have some Bothrodendron, and Ulodendron, somewhere. I will try to locate it.

Bruno,

I have some bark and leave samples that I've picked up in N. Central Texas, Penn. Period, Mangus Fm. Do you know of any good ID books that might help me ID what I have?

Bruno,

I have some bark and leave samples that I've picked up in N. Central Texas, Penn. Period, Mangus Fm. Do you know of any good ID books that might help me ID what I have?

You didn't really think that no one would ask to see pics of them, did you?

OK, I'll get some pictures up, but it will take a while. The fossils are not here at home.

Just a little good-natured ragging :P

I would love to see them though, at your convenience :)