Damon Mound Quarry Hgms/hgs Field Trip

MikeD

Went on the joint HGMS/HGS/anyone else that wanted to come field trip today at the Damon Mound in Damon, TX. Also in attendance were Oh-Man, catfuraplenty and TroyB. It is an area, southwest of Houston, raised above the Gulf coastal plain by a salt dome. The only outcropping of limestone that I know of in the area. Several geological layers are exposed here from modern day to Pleistocene to a Miocene reef. Well, they picked a nice, hot day for the trip. The temp at 1:00 p.m. was 97 degrees F with 96% humidity. The heat index was off the charts (167 F according to the HI calculator on a NOAA website). No breeze in the pit, no telling how many were left behind to fossilize :P (just kidding, but not about the heat index). Somewhat rough terrain, but I did find an outcrop with some Miocene fossils. Got a few of them in my bucket. Wanted to move on to another outcrop, but the heat was too much. It took most of the energy ans water that I had left to climb back up out of the pit. First time I have been put off by the heat. Hopefully I can go back when the weather cools down.

Here are a few pics.

I'll post a few more after I clean up some of the stuff.

The main pit.

post-534-1251075902_thumb.jpg

An oyster and some other bits and pieces in the matrix.

post-534-1251075928_thumb.jpg

A coral which is now part of my statewide "in the field" collection.

post-534-1251075960_thumb.jpg

Not a whole lot of Miocene in Texas, is there? 'Cept for the heat, it sounds like a cool place.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds Mike,I wish I could have made it,but I was babysitting in Austin ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Nice pics Mike. Seems like the last hunt I did with Owen was nasty hot, and I was sick for a week and a half.....

Nice pics Mike. Seems like the last hunt I did with Owen was nasty hot, and I was sick for a week and a half.....

Speaking of which; are you feeling better?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Picked up this bit of news on another email.

Person A: Hate to hear we got chased off the pile and will never get to go back, did you hear how the older man was doing or did you know him?

Person B: It got too hot for me and I left at 1:15PM so I don't know anything about being chased off the pile and never allowed to go back and an older man apparently fallen ill/injured?

Does anyone know what happened?

What a beautiful place to hunt. Maybe you could

go in the late fall when temps drop a bit...

Welcome to the forum!

Went on the joint HGMS/HGS/anyone else that wanted to come field trip today at the Damon Mound in Damon, TX. Also in attendance were Oh-Man, catfuraplenty and TroyB. It is an area, southwest of Houston, raised above the Gulf coastal plain by a salt dome. The only outcropping of limestone that I know of in the area. Several geological layers are exposed here from modern day to Pleistocene to a Miocene reef. Well, they picked a nice, hot day for the trip. The temp at 1:00 p.m. was 97 degrees F with 96% humidity. The heat index was off the charts (167 F according to the HI calculator on a NOAA website). No breeze in the pit, no telling how many were left behind to fossilize :P (just kidding, but not about the heat index). Somewhat rough terrain, but I did find an outcrop with some Miocene fossils. Got a few of them in my bucket. Wanted to move on to another outcrop, but the heat was too much. It took most of the energy ans water that I had left to climb back up out of the pit. First time I have been put off by the heat. Hopefully I can go back when the weather cools down.

Here are a few pics.

I'll post a few more after I clean up some of the stuff.

The main pit.

post-534-1251075902_thumb.jpg

An oyster and some other bits and pieces in the matrix.

post-534-1251075928_thumb.jpg

A coral which is now part of my statewide "in the field" collection.

post-534-1251075960_thumb.jpg

Looks nice this place, look for crabs there :)

Nice finds Mike,I wish I could have made it,but I was babysitting in Austin ;)

Can't leave Travis wondering around on his own, can you. :P

Picked up this bit of news on another email.

Person A: Hate to hear we got chased off the pile and will never get to go back, did you hear how the older man was doing or did you know him?

Person B: It got too hot for me and I left at 1:15PM so I don't know anything about being chased off the pile and never allowed to go back and an older man apparently fallen ill/injured?

Does anyone know what happened?

There was someone that was taken away for heat stroke. Have not heard an update yet. There was a huge turn out, well over 100 people. Probably more than anyone expected. I talked to the land owner briefly. He was a bit concerned by the heat stroke guy and the large number of people wondering around the property (even though we had all signed liability waivers). He was trying to move as many people as possible back to the main group and eventually out of there. I don't blame him. A lot of us were a step ahead of him and were already on our way out. I did not hear that we would not get to go back.

Roz, I hope to go back in the fall or winter, if I can get in.

MB, I will have to check and see if crabs were found there before.

MB, I will have to check and see if crabs were found there before.

Thanks Mike, usually reefal constructions are a good place for crabs, but little crabs and carapaces that you can find breaking the rocks .

We are finding reefal crabs everywhere.

And your site looks perfect :drool: