Consolidating and prepping crinoids in shale

Jeffrey P

Hi Everybody,

I found these crinoids on a large chunk of shale on Sunday when I was out with the New York Paleontological Society. I don't know the formation, but the site was a small private quarry in Madison County, N.Y. and based on other species present I'm guessing it is Middle Devonian Hamilton Group. A number of crinoid stems are present plus tiny calyxes with arms and possibly bases. I believe one (or all) of the crinoids (based on the presence of feather-shaped arms) is Gennaeocrinnus. All of this came from one rock. The rock broke up into pieces. At least three have significant crinoid specimens on them. The largest one is 10-11 inches by 8-9 inches. My questions are how do I consolidate this thin and very fragile piece of shale and how do I expose the specimens better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

image1 (482).JPG

image1 (483).JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@Fossildude19 thanks for the tag.

@Jeffrey P, consolidate with very thin PVA, Paraloid, or Butvar. This will take several applications and unfortunately will most likely make the prep rather difficult. Another option is to consolidate the back side and then mount them to a board for support.

• I found this Informative 1