NOT a chicken bone

Asher Hunter

I found this in a creek bed in New jersey, an amateur fossil site (I don't remember the name, but you could apparently find megaladon teeth at the site.) It is 3.5 inches long, and is a lightweight, hollow fossil. It has two holes and an arch on the larger end of the fossilHere's some pictures (sorry about camera quality, I'm doing this on a kindle) 

IMG_20180708_175830_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180708_175843_hdr.jpg

IMG_20180708_180025_hdr.jpg

I don't believe Megalodon can be found in NJ.  :unsure: 

It doesn't take long for modern bones to be colored by the streams in Jersey.

I would try the burn test with this item to discount it being a modern bone. 

Maybe racoon, skunk, or possum.

EDIT: Fixed it. 

What can't be fixed are my fat fingers. :P 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

29 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Megaladon

Which is spelled “Megalodon,” technically Otodus megalodon or Carcharocles megalodon, depending on your taxonomic viewpoint.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Asher Hunter said:

amateur fossil site

Big brooks?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I don't think the place is big brooks. It was this really obscure place that I can't remember the name of. It was kind of weird, it had two different locations, the park, and the fossil site. I don't know. I can't remember the details. Anyway, I have another thing I need identified. It's another bone, at least, I think, but I have no idea what it is. I found it at a beach in VA, Norfolk area, Chesapeake bay. It's about an inch long, and has a rough surface. It seems old, hardly smells at all. Any idea what it is? (Again, sorry about camera quality.) Here's both sides.

IMG_20180709_120114_hdr_kindlephoto-683217506.jpg

IMG_20180709_120055_hdr_kindlephoto-683263231.jpg

I think people have found C. chubutensis (ancestor to Megalodon) in "Shark River" NJ  which has fossils more recent than in Big Brook or Ramanessin Brook. It may be rare but you can apparently find Meg relatives in Jersey. 

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Which is spelled “Megalodon,” technically Otodus megalodon or Carcharocles megalodon, depending on your taxonomic viewpoint.

Thanks, ... Fixed it. 

Typos happen. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

12 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thanks, ... Fixed it. 

Typos happen. 

No worries, said it as the OP spelled it that way as well.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

It may be rare but you can apparently find Meg relatives in Jersey. 

You can also find Cretalamna and Otodus (sensu stricto) as well in Big brook

edit: minus the plural

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

You can also find Cretalamna and Otodus (sensu stricto) as well in Big brooks

Big Brook.  ;):P 

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Big Brook.  ;):P 

Touché:D

I have never been there, someday...

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, Asher Hunter said:

...It is 3.5 inches long, and is a lightweight, hollow fossil. It has two holes and an arch on the larger end of the fossil...

It might be a mammal humerus, but I do not know from what.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The vertebrae: how do I tell if it's a fossil or not? I have found fossils at the beach where I found it, but how do I know if it is one?

7 minutes ago, Asher Hunter said:

The vertebrae: how do I tell if it's a fossil or not? I have found fossils at the beach where I found it, but how do I know if it is one?

Tap it lightly with a spoon. If it makes a high pitched sound as fine china would it is a fossil. Modern bone will make a sound better described as a tunk.

There are exceptions but I think in that area this should work fine.

Think it's bone. The question is, of what? Like I said, it's an inch long, and very old, so old that, when I checked it under a microscope, the surface bone was gone. My little brother thinks it's human, but I disagree. Any ideas?

Also, are there any other methods beside the spoon one? I've heard of others, like the burn test.

It won't work on cooked bones though.

Or it might have to be burned first.  some thing. I don't like that test. :)

Ok. The vertebrae smelled like burnt wood, and the "chicken bone" smelled like rubbing alcohol??? I really don't know. Very confusing. But since they smelled at all, they're probably bone.

5 minutes ago, Asher Hunter said:

The vertebrae smelled like burnt wood

Did you use a match? Could explain this.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Asher Hunter said:

Yes. What does that change?

The match is wood and it burns so it could contaminate your experiment. Should smell like burnt hair, very foul, if it’s modern. However, this merely indicates the presence of collagen and  wouldn’t work on a really old non-fossil bone.

Happy hunting,

Mason