Part Of The $100 Lot I Bought

ASG

As mentioned in my introduction thread, I promised to show pics...

I got all this for $100, not pictured is the Megalodon (3+ inches, 98% intact, unrestored) and a partial meg, as he shipped that seperatly becuse this stuff was already sealed. If it comes today (which it should) I will post pics here.

Here is what I have otherwise from that lot, how did I do? Did I overspend or did I do ok?:

Herbavore teeth (I am told these are horse teeth):

014-1.jpg

The better, bigger, small shark teeth:

015.jpg

other Shark teeth and other fossils (about 250+ shark teeth and close to 30 other fossils):

017-1.jpg

019.jpg

018-1.jpg

Don't know what it is, but I like this:

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

And, last from this package, the Meka shark tooth, 1 3.8 inches long, without the root intact:

016.jpg

Again, part of the $100 went to a Megalodon, I paid $50 for this lot, and $50 for the Meg and partial meg.

Dang :( , I saw the Horse teeth things on ebay for $90 for six of them, so I thought I got a deal, look slike ebay is high too then?

ASG

Dang :( , I saw the Horse teeth things on ebay for $90 for six of them, so I thought I got a deal, look slike ebay is high too then?

ASG

Golly, 'ASG', I'll sell you six nice, cleaned, consolidated Equus teeth for $15.00.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Welcome, ASG. Chalk it up to experience.... You've landed at the right website to establish quality hunting grounds for your "silver pick". I think you'll find the overwhelming majority of people here fair in any transactions.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Did I do bad on this too, then? of could I at least get the $15 back I paid out of it:

4+ inch Gastropod

014.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

ASG

Sorry to say I'm in agreement with the folks above. Ebay can be rich grounds if you know what you are doing, but too much stuff is there that is mis-IDed or just plain junk at gold prices. Good idea to ask first-bid later.... ;)

Be true to the reality you create.

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that are dishonest and good feedback is no indication of honesty. Be wary of items that are over hyped. Be very careful on your purchases until you learn what price range items should fall within. Browsing websites of fossil dealers is a good way to educate yourself on prices.

One thing I have started doing is whenever I get a really good deal I make it known where it came from when I post in the Members collection forum. If I am not happy, I don't mention the name. Kind of the opposite and a more positive recognition than if I were to list the bad ones.

There are some very good dealers on Ebay and I do have to disagree a bit with Paleoron on this, because if you take the time to read Feedback besides looking at their score, you have some definite insight. My own rating is 100% with 414 transactions under my belt.

Just keep in mind the lower the amount of transactions the higher the chance that the person is questionable despite a high approval percentage. I will not deal with anyone who has less than 98% approval, and I am very careful about anyone who has les than 100 sales.

Or just buy from the guys who collect on here! You can always throw out an inquiry to see if someone has what you want. I have bought from a couple of people on here (and have plans for more) based on their pics and offers. What better way to know your going to get something that is ID'ed correctly?

Welcome to the forum and the wild wooly world of buying fossils online. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Or just buy from the guys who collect on here! You can always throw out an inquiry to see if someone has what you want. I have bought from a couple of people on here (and have plans for more) based on their pics and offers. What better way to know your going to get something that is ID'ed correctly?

Welcome to the forum and the wild wooly world of buying fossils online. :)

Sage advice! ;)

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that are dishonest and good feedback is no indication of honesty. Be wary of items that are over hyped. Be very careful on your purchases until you learn what price range items should fall within. Browsing websites of fossil dealers is a good way to educate yourself on prices.

It is good advice to educate yourself in these matters if you are going to participate in the marketplace.

I seldom look at fossils on eBay these days, but I do recall that there was a surfeit of ignorance on the part of sellers. Or, maybe it was feigned ignorance while setting traps for naive buyers.

It's hard to know what to think if you don't follow a seller regularly. The feedback on eBay is not infallible, but it is useful. The feedback system is more reliable now that no retaliatory feedback is allowed.

I am always suspicious when a dealer oversells his fossil as "rare" or "museum-worthy" or somesuch hyperbole. This strikes me as trolling for the uninformed buyer.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It is good advice to educate yourself in these matters if you are going to participate in the marketplace.

I seldom look at fossils on eBay these days, but I do recall that there was a surfeit of ignorance on the part of sellers. Or, maybe it was feigned ignorance while setting traps for naive buyers.

It's hard to know what to think if you don't follow a seller regularly. The feedback on eBay is not infallible, but it is useful. The feedback system is more reliable now that no retaliatory feedback is allowed.

I am always suspicious when a dealer oversells his fossil as "rare" or "museum-worthy" or somesuch hyperbole. This strikes me as trolling for the uninformed buyer.

I have to agree with all who posted a response. The first thing to consider in looking for fossils on ebay is to know exactly what you want before you buy. Browse online dealer's sites for comparable prices. On ebay, ignore those who say something is RARE. If it is truly rare, it sure as he** wont be sold on ebay. I hate to say it because it's not true in all cases, but an awful lot of ebay is junk now and I rarely even bother to visit it. In short, educate yourself BEFORE you bid on something. Chances are, something very similar will come your way again on ebay.

Also, ask on this forum before you bother to bid. If anyone has had a bad experience with someone, hopefully they'll post it to protect all of us or at least contact you personally with their experience. It's time for all of us fossil collectors to band together a eliminate the bad seeds.

That said, Harry is entirely correct in that some sellers have no clue what they are selling. I once bought an albino crab in amber from ebay. Knowing that such a thing didnt exist, I was intrigued. In contacting the buyer; she admitted she had no idea what it was or how to describe it. I still just HAD to have that crab and bought it at a rediculous price for which I have never been sorry. Turns out it was an ordinary blue crab shed that had somehow become encased in fiberglass resin (probably dropped overboard in boat repair). Who am I to say what's right? :blush:

Some of us on eBay are legit... My seller name is PrehistoricFlorida and I also highly reccommend the following sellers: intlfossils, calusa31, and megateeth.

Agree-perhaps I shouldn't have sounded so harsh. :mellow: My ebay name is mako-mama. But I have a real hard time separating myself from my fossils so you wont see me much.

You didn't overpay if the fossils are worth it to you... :) Price is relative on the fossil market. However, I do have to agree that you probably could have found a better deal. I have over paid for some things. Most of the time it is when I really want a piece and I am fairly sure of the legitimacy. The best thing you can do is research specifically what you are going to buy to get an idea of price. Good luck....

Edit: The piece that you didn't know what is was looks like it could be a fish vert... Or maybe mosasaur/plesiosaur???

Well, this shows you have the fever! Do a little home work and go out and find fossils yourself! It is a lot more fun and rewarding to find them yourself. Think about it, you will be the first person to EVER see this new fossil! There fossils all over the world waiting for someone like you to find them! To many free ones out there. You many even get lucky and find something no else has ever found before! That’s the great thing about the hunt! I love the ones I found so much more than the ones I have bought! Buying one is like buying a used toy! Someone else has all ready played with it!

"No matter where you go, there you are!"

A lot depends too on what you choose to collect. For example I go for Paleo fish and early Tetrapods (amphibs and reptiles). I have found fossilperner to be an excellent source of that material, also allcash and our own veomega... :D

A lot depends too on what you choose to collect. For example I go for Paleo fish and early Tetrapods (amphibs and reptiles). I have found fossilperner to be an excellent source of that material, also allcash and our own veomega... :D

Ah yes, I believe I just bought a nice cretaceous fish plate from veomega...............

I have to agree with all who posted a response.....

.....Also, ask on this forum before you bother to bid. If anyone has had a bad experience with someone, hopefully they'll post it to protect all of us or at least contact you personally with their experience. It's time for all of us fossil collectors to band together a eliminate the bad seeds.....

You all are absolutly right.

It's ok to ask on here what you would pay for a fossil. Ron also has some words of wisdom by looking at fossil websites for what the dealers are seller them for.

Remember, everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it and that normally depends depends on it's rarity, size, location, color, and condition.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.