Poc, 100's Of Dead Fish Found Sherman Texas

racevw112

SHERMAN, TX -- Hundreds of dead fish were found floating in Post Oak Creek in Sherman. Residents living near the creek say they want the city to step in and do something about it. Rita Kotey has the story.

"This is a beautiful place, and I fish and bring kids here to fish, but now there will be no more fishing," Tom Nuckols said

For the past 25 years, Tom Nuckols has lived near Post Oak Creek in Sherman. He says he woke up Sunday to find hundreds dead perch fish and catfish -some up to 3 feet long- floating in the creek.

"It was a pretty shocking sight to see all this death and devastation, especially for those of us who love here and who love the fish that are here," Nuckols said.

"It was pretty tragic because it not only affects the creek right here but it goes on to the Red River," Ernestine Harrell said.

Nuckols, along with other residents like Ernestine Harrell, say the sight and smell of the decaying fish was almost too much to handle.

Sherman Utilities Laboratory testers and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality arrived on site to take samples of the water to find out if it has been contaminated or if another factor caused the death of some many fish.

They will run tests to find out if there are oxygen limitations which the oxygen level is currently very low or traces of poison or insecticide.

"We don't see anything really obvious to point our finger at right now so it's just a matter of going through the tests and eliminating things as we go," Gilbert said.

Nuckols says because this community is on a flood plane heavy rain pushes water into their homes. He says now with this additional problem of possible contamination he wants the city to step in to help preserve Post Oak Creek.

"The city recognizing it as a resource and start protecting it and utilizing it for the beautiful green space that it is," Nuckols said.

Nuckols says a part of preserving this space is getting answers to what causing the problem and taking action to make sure that it never happens again.

The water samples were sent to Dallas for analysis it could be at least two weeks before they find out what was in the water.

Link to Story

They got 3 foot fish in POC??

Kinda stinky situation! Bad weekend to sift!

At least they didnt mention fossil hunting there!!! Saved that many more people going there

That's no good. I hope they figure out what caused it. It seemed like an awfully small creek to have fish that big in it to me. Guess I'll have to stay away from there until they get it figured out.

There are not "large" fish in there, but my buddy caught a couple of nice creek bass, and some beautiful perch when he was there with me. These ecosystems are important! I thought a lot about it this weekend, when I was feeding fish with Barry's muffin. :D They are so beautiful!

I'm sure there are some pretty big channel cats in there.I waded through water that was at least 4ft deep.I've been there alot lately,so I am anxious to find out what's going on there.My hair is kinda glowing purple :o

if i was a guesser, i'd guess a bloom in biological activity (algae and/or bacteria) with a subsequent decomposition phase consuming too much of the dissolved oxygen in the water for the fish to survive. rain washing too much fertilizer or sewage into creeks can do stuff like that...

but then again, if snakekeeper's hair is glowing purple...

Hey Barry, did we eat at On the Border BEFORE or AFTER we went to POC last time? ....

Just wondering..... :blush:

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Hey Barry, did we eat at On the Border BEFORE or AFTER we went to POC last time? ....

I believe it was after....why do you ask?

post-417-1251332658_thumb.jpg

I believe it was after....why do you ask?

post-417-1251332658_thumb.jpg

I was just considering that if they found the fate of the fish to be noxious gas..... never mind. :unsure:

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Jeez...didn't catch that one :D I'm getting slow in my old age.I thought you might have been feeling ill.

We just got through having a similar situation in the Neuse River here in NC. At least three million dead fish. They think it's oxygen depletion. I am left to ask...When did you guys visit here last? :wacko:

Be true to the reality you create.

Thanks Daniel for the update.My hair is getting back to its normal grayish brown color.

My 11th toe is starting to disappear too.tongue.gif